Thread: Dye Sub - Food Safe?

Dye Sub - Food Safe?

Probably a strange question but I had though about offering a customer a cutting board made of corian dye sublimated with their favorite photo. What's peoples thought about then using the cutting board? Not worth the risk? Most likely the board would be mostly decorative but figured I should look into it first just in case.

Shane
    - Shane

Shenhui SH-G350 60W, Joe's 4x4 CNC, V-Carve, Corel, Mach3, Laserwork and tons of woodworking tools!

Dye Sub - Food Safe?

First I will say that I don't know. I would check with the manufacturer of your ink.

That said, I would say that it is since it is used on coffee mugs.

I would not do this for the surface that is going to be used for cutting. Scratches in the side with the picture are going to appear white. This is not because they are cutting through the image but because any dark Corian scratches white. This is not really a color change but micro fracturing from the pressure applied. You can sand/buff these out several times but eventually you will sand through the image.
    "And now for something completely different..."

I have them here and the image goes on the back. They come with little stick on rubber feet too.

Make sure you buy the rubber to go on both sides. I did some without just using my usual blank news print and they did not come out that good.

And be sure to have the Oven glove or you will have the Oooow Hand....

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".