Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A burly gloat!

A burly gloat!

Got my shipment in from North Woods today - some dry box elder burl. This is some beautiful stuff!!! The sealer they used has a yellow cast - the burl is actually very light in color.

Les threw in a piece of spalted BLM burl for me to check out, as well. I will be getting some more of that - very nice figure with some beautiful color.

I mentioned previously buying some burl and curly maple blocks from Les while at AAW, and I contacted him to see what new stuff he might have. He cut this to my specs. Most of the blocks are 6x6x3, the larger one is 8x8x3, and the tallest NE piece is 12" tall.

I know most of you guys enjoy harvesting your own wood, but honestly I just don't care for it. Most everything I turn is with figured wood, and while I have access to a lot of hardwoods, finding burls is rare. And, I just don't enjoy spending a day cutting wood. I celebrate the enjoyment the rest of you gain from that, but I prefer to spend the time I have available doing other things.

This will be another regular source for me I suspect - nice folks! No financial interest except - as usual - they now own some of my money!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice gloat there JK.

After a long day cutting and slabbing logs I can understand your not really wanting to spend time doing it. I can wear you down real quick. But on the other hand, when I get together with the other Muskateers, it's really a fun day. When it's over of course......
    Tony

"Soldier On"

3. That is some nice stuff, John................since it is dry, should not take you too long to get a new piece drawn up, turned and posted on SMC........looking forward to what that grey matter underneath the white hair and pony tail comes up with next!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Fine collection. Can't wait to see just what you will come up with next. You always seem to generate something new and different. The figure looks fabulous on the exposed surfaces.
    Let us know how that spalted BLM comes out and what, if anything, you need to do to it to cut it. Based on my experiences, it looks like it could be pretty soft from the pic.

Looks like beautiful stuff, John. I checked out the website, but I didn't see the boxelder anywhere... I certainly didn't see that gorgeous spalted maple burl either! I'm guessing that boxelder is gonna get slathered with some dye, huh?

The spalted maple is beautiful !!

Ooo, oo, oooooo... Nice! Esp those tall NE pieces. Looks like killer figure...
    David DeCristoforo

Great looking stuff John. You must be excited! Didn't even take the time to clean up those shavings.

Quote Originally Posted by David Reed View Post
    Let us know how that spalted BLM comes out and what, if anything, you need to do to it to cut it. Based on my experiences, it looks like it could be pretty soft from the pic.
    David, it passed the fingernail test - I think it was harvested at just the right moment - but, we shall see!

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Looks like beautiful stuff, John. I checked out the website, but I didn't see the boxelder anywhere... I certainly didn't see that gorgeous spalted maple burl either! I'm guessing that boxelder is gonna get slathered with some dye, huh?
    Les goes through a lot of wood and it is best to call him to see what he has. And, yes, I suspect some of the boxelder might be introduced to a more colorful future!

Baxter, I was hoping no one would notice that horrible mess in my shop!

Ohh WOW. That is some great looking burl.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris

That does look like some real nice stuff. We don't have many trees with burl or curl around here either so I have to buy it, so I understand that part. Speaking of box elder...........did you ever put a tool to that block I sent you?
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Box elder burl...one of my favorites to turn. How does he get wood like that that is dry?

Forest Grove, Or......I may pay him a visit next summer. I have a lot of family in Portland and spend several weeks there every summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Speaking of box elder...........did you ever put a tool to that block I sent you?
    Not yet, Scott, but I do have a sketch that will permit use of that block so it is in the pipeline. It has some beautiful color!

John, that's almost obscene! The folks from Northwoods made a stop at our local turning club on their way to the Rocky Mountain Symposium in Colorado with a trailer loaded with wood. I wasn't able to get off work in time to see what they had. Now I know what I missed.

I'm starting to wonder if buying wood might be the way to go. When you start adding up the costs of chainsaws, new chain, sharpening, gas, oil, time, bandsaws, bandsaw blades, and Advil, not to mention all the time it takes away from turning, it just might be the way to go. Besides, I'm getting old.

Really nice looking wood John. I have started buying a little more wood as that chainsawing then loading all that wood all day is getting harder the older I get.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.