Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your ultimate project?

Blog Entries

What's your ultimate project?

I know I have one, I'd bet that most of us do. What's that one thing you have always wanted to build? Maybe it was at some level the very reason you got interested in woodworking in the first place. You say to yourself, "I wish I was skilled enough to build that".
    I may be close to starting mine, I just have to find someone to fund it.

My ultimate project is a first class heirloom pool table. I don't have room for one at my house, I'm not sure I would even play that much if I had one. I just want to build one. But after looking at a few web sites on the subject I have come to the conclusion that I am going to need to find someone who wants one, so they can fund it and I can build it for them. There's a guy at work who is very interested, but is still a bit apprehensive.

So, what's yours? If you have already built it, was it a satisfying experience? Would you do it again?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I want to replace the kitchen cabinets I built 20 years ago. This time I will have great machines to work with not the junk that was used the first time. The style I am thinking about is mission and I want to use quarter sawn oak. This will be my first project when I retire in three years.

It's a grandfather clock with an electronic movement. Still has the pendulum and chimes which I can switch on or off as I wish. The particular clock I'm going to make in the near future is called a Mora clock. Swedish style, maybe because my Swedish wife when she saw it said that was the one she liked. Klockit has the plans, and components, I've got the cherry. According to Klockit it's one of their most ambitious/demanding builds. Will probably do a mockup in poplar first. LOML already has the spot picked out for where it goes.

I have done a couple of them - Maloof Style Rocker and a Cocobolo and brass infill plane. I'm making the outdoor dining table now and someday hope to make an indoor table.

Another one for the future is a super duper tool cabinet.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

For me it is a grand father clock.
    I have the plans for one from a company called Colonial Times.
    The St. Laurent model made of cherry will someday grace our home....
    Or so the game plan goes.

Blog Entries
    I built a grandfather clock as a gift on the occasion of my grand daughters adoption. I was my most satisfying project so far.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1165386...eat=directlink
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Mahogany Runabout.

This may sound rather simple but I'd like to build a built-in cabinet base with bookcase top, one on each side of my fireplace...and have it look like a pro did it.

The next project..... whatever that is.

I see that clocks are popular. I've made a grandfather and a grandmother, one QS white oak and the other one walnut. Satisfying.

One of those huge tool cabinets with a gazillion small drawers, and lots of fold-out doors to hang hand tools on. Anyone know where I can find a free plan for that? I'm tired of beating up my old MasterCard!

Either a Grandmother, or Grandfather Clock. It's been something I've wanted to do for years. The parts are quite expensive but I'd like to start on it next spring. I like the looks of the Grandmother style better, I think they look more like the one Captain Kangaroo had when I watched him as a kid.

"Woodworking is that perfect combination between work and relaxation!!"

My ultimate project would be a shop. I would love to build my own shop, complete with a woodworking area, and in the back corner, a masonry forge for blacksmithing.
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Steiner View Post
    Mahogany Runabout.
    I like this one. Have you got more details in mind?
    Larry J Browning

Build the New Yankee Workshop.

Norm stays around to help.