Thread: Expanding shop: add-on, separate building, or start anew? and intro

Expanding shop: add-on, separate building, or start anew? and intro

Hello,

I've been lurking here for a couple years. I build guitars in Spokane WA, and have a question.

I have a modest shop in a detached 1 1/2 car garage, about 220 sq ft, that's just a little tight for me, where I build my acoustic guitars. Med-size TS, BS, small drum sander, DP, dust collector etc. I've taken over the garage, and am thinking it would be nice to park one car in the garage, especially when it's snowy, and have space for my shop. The present building is minimal construction mid-50s, 2 x 4 stud on 24" centers, hip-roof, which looks like the kid on the crew built it, just a bit rough but solid, has two 20A circuits and a good flat concrete floor. Needs a roof and paint. I don't believe there's a footing.

I'm trying to decide whether to add onto it, making it a tandem garage with the shop in back half, adding a second building in back (with a wood floor perhaps, pros and cons?), or tearing down the present garage and building a 2 1/2 car garage. I haven't gotten far enough to think about a budget. I'm pretty crippled up, walk on crutches, so I'd be hiring all the labor needed. Not much to go on I realize, but does anybody have any insights?

Thanks,

Pat

Building new is almost always more expensive, even when you add in the remodeling. If it needs painting and a roof that may be a plus in regards to adding on due to the fact you would have to attach it to the addition at the walls and the roof line and would just make it all new looking in one shot. It would also make it easier to add on without having any start and stop points.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

First thing I would do is go to the county or city building department and find out what type and size building you can build.

Once you know what will be allowed, then you can proceed from there.

I had the same decision three years ago. I tore down the old garage and built a 30x33 garage with an upstairs and 20' dormer and I could not be happier. I use 20x30 for the shop and the rest for a bathroom and my wife's car in the winter.

Thanks for the replies. Now I have a starting point.

Pat

Pat,
    I am doing something a little different than you but here's my 2 cents worth. First thing I'd look into is do you or don't you have a foundation under the existing building. If you don't than adding on wouldn't make sense, unless you jack up the existing and place a foundation under it. In that case I would think that a new building would be less expense especially if you want to park a car in this building. But like Ray said it's what the county will let you build. For me I had a free standing that I wanted larger as well but i decided to add to 2 sides of it tying it into my home for insurance reasons. The insurance company wouldn't cover a much of the cost to rebuild an "outbuilding" with a rider for equipment as if I attached it to the existing home. One benfit now I don't have to go outside to get to my shop LOL.

7. I would agree that it is generally more expensive to build "new" than to remodel. However, as others have noted, if there are issues with your existing shop (e.g., no foundation, etc.), then it may be best to start from "scratch". In my instance, I was considering an addition to increase my shop space at the same time I was also considering having a new roof put on my house. Consequently, I was able to work collaboratively with some Portland roofing contractors in order to ensure that the new addition was constructed such that the new addition and the existing structure "meshed" as far as the minimization of leakage was concerned. That is, in so many instances, folks don't think about how two structures will come together and some real nightmares result from the perspective of ensuring everything is "watertight".

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    First thing I would do is go to the county or city building department and find out what type and size building you can build.

Once you know what will be allowed, then you can proceed from there.
    I agree with Ray. It's amazing how different the "building code" is in most places. Some have very few restrictions/requirements while others are very specific in what they allow/require.

In addition to checking with the local building department find a competent builder, which may be difficult to find, and go over your options with them. Often times finding the right builder/contractor in a situation like yours is the most important thing to do. Depending on your building code and/or your contractor you may need to consult an architect.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps