Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A "weighty" problem

A "weighty" problem

Ever since I started making turned objects, my pieces seem to have grown continually in height. At this point, they are averaging 15-17" tall and with the pieces being perched on long slender stems, they do not exactly have a low center of gravity. To put it another way, they tend to be "a bit tippy". So I have been trying to come up with a way to add some mass (weight) to the bases without ruining the "esthetics". I had thought about inlaying a 1/8" thick brass disk into which I could also engrave a signature. But the idea just did not satisfy. Then I came into some 1/8" diameter lead "wire" and that gave me this idea. It took three tries to make this base without cutting into the little rabbet and exposing the wire. But I finally got it right. I am hoping this will help with lessening the tippyness. (Is that good grammar? "...lessening the tippyness"?)

First a recess formed in the underside of the base:

base_1.jpg

Then a second piece is turned to fit. A small rabbet around the edge, wrapped with the lead wire:

base_2.jpg

The two pieces are then glued together:

base_3.jpg

Now the bottom of the base is turned and the lead wire is hidden inside the bead:

base_4.jpg
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 10-11-2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: typo
    David DeCristoforo

Pretty cool there David, and pretty clever too.

David, are you an engineer? First you continue to make an elegant design more problematic yet more elegant, and to alleviate some of the problematic tipping caused by the extra elegant design element of extraordinary stem length, you add weight to the base perimeter using a hazardous metal ring, but encase it securely and out of sight in a well designed and crafted base detail. Quite an exercize in problem making, then problem solving!

Looks great David. Lots of work but I can see why it would be a necessity with the designs you do.
    Last edited by Baxter Smith; 10-12-2011 at 6:23 AM.

David, that's cool. Looking forward to the turning you'll perch on it.

David - I recognize the lead wire as weight used for steelhead fishing. Great ingenuity!!! I lood forwatd to seeing the rest of the project.

Mike Ash

Is there no end to this guys talent? Very ingenious.

Being an ex-fisherman from the NW, I also think that it looks like lead wire used as weights in steelhead fishing. Question...how many here know what a steelhead is? Answer...it's an ocean going rainbow trout that comes back into the rivers to spawn. Grows to as much as 20 lb.

Learn some inportant new thing every day?

"...are you an engineer?"

Depends on how you define "engineer". I am, to a certain extent, "a guy who can figure things out". But you are right about one thing... I'm really good at painting myself into a corner!
    David DeCristoforo

DD, for a bit of extra hold at shows or galleries consider this product, used by Museums.

http://www.conservationresources.com...ction39_07.htm

That's a great idea for adding ballast to the base, especially in the way you've hidden it and made a beautiful bottom to the base. So, what's the rest going to look like?

I was familiar with gallery wax as Gary posted - or, at least, that is a term I have heard used, but this is a great idea! My son has referred to some of my pieces as seismographs, but the added height of your pieces adds even more to the mix!

David, you have a creative mind! You shall go far!

I am also familiar with museum wax. But here's my concern. The stems I'm making are just a hair over 1/8" at the thinnest point. I can imagine someone picking the piece up and snapping the stem while the base remains firmly waxed to the surface upon which it sits. Not good!

Next time I do this, I'm going to grind a small tool with a radius on the edge (matching the O.D. of the lead wire) to cut the rabbet with. That way, the wood will "hug" the wire instead of there being a little square void at the corner and the bead can be made a bit smaller.
    David DeCristoforo

I know next to nothing about wood and how it reacts to other matrials...
    Will there be a "reaction" with the lead in there that will cause swelling or something down the line or play havoc with the wood during seasonal changes ?

_
    Your opinions and advice are welcome on anything i post - Thanks

"Will there be a "reaction" with the lead...?"

I doubt it. Lead has been used forever in a similar fashion to weight wood chess pieces.
    David DeCristoforo

15. David.........that is a pretty nifty idea!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!