Thread: Mission Style Table for a TV?

Question Mission Style Table for a TV?

Seems I have to build one, to replace an Oak Entertainment Center (MDF Core) that I am losing. The "Boss" wants a shelf under the top for the cable boxes, AND a shelf above the TV, for nic-knacks to sit on. I do have a nice supply of White Oak , and Ash from an old barn that was torn down. A look at what I have to work with:SDC11850.jpgSDC11851.jpgSDC11853.jpgSDC11854.jpgThere is also a few 2x8 joists laying around in the pile. Also Oak, along with a few WIDE (14") 1xs available as well. Lots of old cut nails to pull. Price of all this Oak and Ash? $00.00, just a few gallons of gas to haul to the shop.

So what's the question? Are you looking for a design? How about something along the lines of a library table like this?

Scale it down and turn the stretcher into a shelf.

Length of the "main" top would be about 38", by 20' wide. Height of the main top would be about 38" as well, to keep the TV level with the viewer's eyes. Instead of the drawer, maybe a shelf in that location? The Knick-knack shelf above is still a "requirement" nut, does not have to be the full depth of the TV shelf. Thinking about 8-12", for the K-K shelf. Boss also wants the back closed up, maybe with square spindles. Things are still in the "design stage' , aka, my over-worked brain cell ( yep, just one) and will depend on what old boards are available. Currently about 20 8/4 x 4.75 x 9' Oak rafters. A couple 2x8 joists (Oak) also, resawn down, and glued up for the shelf parts. Might shift the drawer to the knick-knack shelf area, and divide it into thirds.

38 inches to the base for your TV is way too high in my opinion. I assume you will be sitting to watch this thing and no one likes to look up for long. I would put it about 20 inches high.

Base of TV came in at 30". SDC11859.jpgSDC11858.jpgSDC11861.jpgKind of plain-jane, but the "other half" likes it. Just a simple shelf above the TV for pictures and such.

I think it turned out nice. How do you like the height? Is that a 37" TV?

It's about eyeball level. TV is a 32" flat screen. There is enough room for at 37" TV if I ever get one. Those slats were just "scrap" that was left over from a few resaws. They are attached with just a few nails, no glue. There are slats at the back as well, Boss' orders. Bottom aprons are curved, and the slats were cut to match that curve along the back apron. Just playing around with some "free wood"....