Thread: Garden bench

Garden bench

Garden Bench.jpg My latest project. Oak & ash with mortise & tenon joints.

Wonderful, Mike. What kind of stain and finish is that?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Wonderful, Mike. What kind of stain and finish is that?
    The stain is red mahogany. Have not applied the finish yet. Guess that should be a task for tomorrow. Have some spar varnish that I am probably going to use.

Nice work on the bench Mike..

Nice work. If you haven't finished it yet, you might consider Epifanes Marine Varnish or GF's Exterior 450 Poly. Both are a lot more durable than typical Spar varnish, years more.

I've got a white oak bench that I'm rebuilding (reusing the cast iron hardware) and I like the finish you used, I may steal your idea. I was considering using some tip I read (in Wood Mag,I think) of using the base oial paint they use for mixing darker colors for the top coat. Reportedly it gives a tough finish with some UV protection. Again, in the article, they claim it was better than Spar Varnish or the other usual suspects for outdoor finishes...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    I've got a white oak bench that I'm rebuilding (reusing the cast iron hardware) and I like the finish you used, I may steal your idea. I was considering using some tip I read (in Wood Mag,I think) of using the base oial paint they use for mixing darker colors for the top coat. Reportedly it gives a tough finish with some UV protection. Again, in the article, they claim it was better than Spar Varnish or the other usual suspects for outdoor finishes...
    I did this on the front door of my house, and it works great. It has been 3 years on a West facing door with no sign of a problem. I used a high quality exterior grade oil base paint. Different manufactures of paint specify there tint base differently, but as you said, ask for the tint base for the darkest colors.

When I opened the can I was put off by the color of the stuff. It was an unattractive creamy butterscotch color, but it drys almost clear. What makes it work so well is it has WAY more UV inhibitors than standard spar varnish.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Nice work. If you haven't finished it yet, you might consider Epifanes Marine Varnish or GF's Exterior 450 Poly. Both are a lot more durable than typical Spar varnish, years more.
    I chose the Epifanes Clear Gloss for an outdoor finish on white oak. I wouldn't know if the same is needed over a stain.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!