Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: WIP - "Acero Dolce" or "Sweet Maple" now finished!

Now that's even sweeter than I had imagined. I'm not sure if I would call it your "best piece" but it is definitely the best one in this style. As always, one could "pick nits". I would agree with Scott in that I would have liked a small flair at the bottom of the "spire" to emulate the lid fitted into the main form. Also the color transition between the pedestal and the form is somewhat abrupt and perhaps accentuated by the strong color contrast. But these are very small personal preferences and do not detract in any significant way from the overall impact of this which is exceptional. As usual, your finish and precise detailing are impeccable!
    David DeCristoforo

Very very nice John! A great example of what careful planning can result in. Thanks again for sharing that!

Awesome work John.

Thank you very much for putting this together. Many questions were answered.

Your a great guy and do great work.......
    Lupe D. -
    TEXICANWOOD

John, first I have to say that this is beautiful. It has everything we've all come to expect in a Keeton turning. But I'm still not 100% on the natural holly, at least not in combination with the maple burl. You mentioned that you weren't satisfied with the photo, the hot spots in particular. Something that I think would make this piece really jump out, at least in the photo, would be a black or a very dark background. To me the holly gets lost against the light background and something darker behind it would add a nice contrast.

Beautiful piece John! That burl is gorgeous as is the form!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Excellent job, John. The wood choices go very well together and the light colored finial looks great! It's a nice change from the black/darker colors....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

very nice John, enjoyed your process of saturday night live

Another beauty John, glad to see the finished photo. I like the way you replicated the form in the finial. Great job.

Not surprising to see this come out better than even anticipated. Very fluid piece in design, and enough JK style to know it's yours.
    Well put together WIP on this too...I like seeing your steps/approach. More than one way, and nice to now some options when needed.
    Thanks John...wonderful piece.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Thanks, guys (and gal!!), for all the comments on the finished piece!!