Thread: Shaker Living Room

Shaker Living Room

Here are three shaker-ish pieces that span several years. The simplest side table was done about 6 years ago, the side table with a drawer was completed about 1 year ago and the coffee was just completed a few months ago.
    All pieces are solid cherry. Finish was 1 coat of BLO, shellac and then varnish.
    next on the list is an entertainment center, and we all know how much the shakers liked those.

TomCoffee Table 2.jpgCoffee Table 1.jpgCoffee Table 3.jpgCoffee Table 4.jpgSide 1.jpgSide 2.jpgSide 3.jpgSide 4.jpg

Very nice work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very beautiful furniture nicely done.
    Craig Lorence

Real nice set Tom. Great work on those hand cut dovetails and the drawer front detail.

Tom, I really like the design of the coffee table, is it your own, a picture, or a plan? I noted that the top brace and bottom legs are different, did you consider using the same curves from the top on the legs? I am in the middle of rebuilding my shop, put in a wooden floor (over concrete) and now hanging dust piping, but your coffee table is motivating me for my next project. Thanks

Thaks for the comments all.

David,
    All the designs are my own, but I have obviously been influenced by a lot of other nice furniture that I have seen over the years and tend towards Shaker style. The coffee table started out with the simple idea of shrinking a traditional Shaker trestle table down to coffee table size, however the co-director of design in our house REALLY did not like the traditional arched foot. Those arches are also a lot taller, which don't work as well for a small table. If you check out Charles Durfee's site you will see the influence for the foot I ended up with. I still have my own twists on it, though. The top brace is one example (at least I think so as I never actually saw what Charles' looked like). I played with different variations, including a top that was more symmetrical with the bottom, a bottom that was more symmetrical with the top, and different variations of each...it just didn't suit my eye as well.

Beautiful stuff. Nice details and love the coffee table proportions.

Very nice. I particularly like the coffee table. I hope you don't mind - I saved the pics to my "inspirational" folder.