Thread: Stange plane at local flea market...

Stange plane at local flea market...

So I came across this odd plane at the local market today and I can't say I have ever seen one before. It is an old wood bodied piece, but it has 2 blades. One seem like a normal blade while the other is cut out. Would this have been some sort of attempt at a dual purpose to or was it intended for a specific job? The sole of the plane is not flat and is partially made of metal... At first I was thinking about grabbing it just for kicks, but then I saw the $95.00 price tag and figured money would be better spent elsewhere, however I am still intrigued by it... Any ideas?

plane2.jpg plane.jpg

Tongue cutting plane?

Amazing, a price without a clue what it is, or who made it. LOL oh well.

Not sure but i AM happy someone posted the obligatory sunday "oddball plane" ... Thanks! Its interesting for sure!

Any idea on the bedding angle? maybe it was used for breadboard ends? Though the off center tongue is strange for that I think.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

My (very) non-expert obervations: first, is that a crack on the side in the second picture, or is it laminated? Second, I would hazard that the second iron cuts the end of the tongue. That would be handy in case the piece you're trying to cut isn't exactly square or possibly too long. With that second iron, you'd just be able to keep cutting and cutting.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

Blog Entries
    Looks like it could cut the tongue for either a thin board or a thick board depending on which side you used as a fence.

It looks like there are different levels for the tongue sole between the front and the back.

Not sure if there is some way to cut the groove with the second blade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It looks like a well-intentioned attempt at an all-in-one tongue and groove plane. It used fixed fences to center the joint on stock of a specific width. One blade is used to cut the tongue. That blade is then retracted and the other blade set to cut the groove. That's why one blade is "cut out" as you said.

Hope this helps.

-Josh

I was thinking some kind of flooring plane or something myself. It is kind of interesting, but again, at $95.00 it isn't interesting enough... haha

At the size, I would guess door or architectural T&G of some sort.

But you did a good job to leave it behind, pretty much at any price greater than the value of the irons to you.