Thread: Jet Mini Tailstock Slipping

Jet Mini Tailstock Slipping

This is just one more occurrence of a problem that's been around since about 2003. I recently bought a used VS Jet Mini so I can turn in my basement during the winter months in Minnesota and it turns out that it has that tailstock creep that was reported in 2003-2004. In researching the problem I found that our own SMC Administrator Keith Outten had been able to make a replacement clamp block that solved the problem. I also read along the way that he had to discontinue the project because of other committments.

Short of setting up a rusting condition of the lathe's ways, which I'd prefer not to do, can anyone point me to someone who stills makes the clamp block that solves the problem? Did Jet ever offer a replacement? Thanks in advance for any tips.

I had the same problem on my mini. I ended up buying a clamp block that was close in size and grinding it to fit between the ways on the mini. Amazingly Lee Valley still has my order history from 2007. It would appear that I bought a 1 1/4" clamp block, part #66B14.11. Looking at their site I see that they have a 1" block also, not sure if that will work or was available when I bought the larger block.

Yes, I wondered about the clamp blocks by Oneway for their Bowl and Spindle Steadies. For $14.50 that might be worth trying.

Randy at Monster lathe tools has them specfic for the Jet mini. I think they are around $35 for the pair and work well.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

There was someone making a square plate with sides milled down to fit the ways that several in our local club bought about 6 years ago. That plate was a definite improvement over the round plate that comes with the Jet, but it did require a little effort to install the tailstock due to aligning the plate. The plate was about 1/4" plate with 1/16" milled off and hole in center. You should be able to make a similar plate and just grind the sides down or even epoxy a short bar the lenght of the way slot to top side as guide. Jet should make a better bottom plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Randy at Monster lathe tools has them specfic for the Jet mini. I think they are around $35 for the pair and work well.
    Bingo!! That's what I was looking for. Thanks for the tip. Order submitted.

ya'll sure are fancy. i glued some innertube to my round washer, and have had no problem since.

I have Randy's set. No more slipping.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    ya'll sure are fancy. i glued some innertube to my round washer, and have had no problem since.
    You betcha, Michelle. We guys will spend money on anything. Your fix for the problem is pretty creative though. Does it have to be renewed occasionally or has it become a permanent solution? Permanence is my goal here.

Wink

I would have thought the inner tube would allow some movement, not much, but some just due to the nature of the material . . . . .

I have the machined plates like those sold by Monster . . .

And yes, I do enjoy buying tools and gadgets . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

+1 for the monster tools set. The best thing is it has 2 of them, which also cures the banjo creep, which I personally found a bit more irritating than the tailstock creep.......