Thread: Bluwin (Irwin) auger bits

Bluwin (Irwin) auger bits

Hello there,
    A few years ago I acquired this set of Irwin auger bits, marked "Bluwin", and I cannot find any info on them - internet searches, word of mouth, etc. It's a set from #4 through #16 and they have a really shiny deep blued finish from the factory.
    When were they made?

This is my first time posting pics and I may have screwed it up. If so, please excuse the size and I'll try again.

Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think I have the same set....I willcheck and let you know.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Glenn. That's one nice set of bits! I found a couple of links that may point you in the direction. It appears that you have a set of the Irwin Carpenters bits. They came in two grades. Irwin and Bluwin. The only pictures I found were of sets from the early 50's, and yours are much much nicer. here is the link for the Irwin Auger Bit care manual.
    That particular hanger mount looks like the set from 1954 that I found. but your set is much nicer. Perhaps the case and hanger mount were of higher quality and finish on the Bluwin grade, versus the Irwin grade. No matter what though, those babies are keepers even if you never own a brace.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/P...irwin_man.html
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-01-2005 at 8:19 PM.

Here is my set also Irwin. They are handy for chairs and hand drilling mortises. The second picture is a great set of "Marvel" holesaws, bi Blum mfrg. ,Chicago
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Is it possible that Bluwin is a different name for Irwin bits. I saw a box of Irwin bits and an auction sale that was way too high for me that day, and they looked very similar to the ones shown.

Mike I have to ask you this as my mother in law will never forgive me if I don't, do you have any family who came from Newfoundland, Canada, as that is my wifes maiden name and her mum is doing genealogical research on the family.

James. I think that the Bluwin, was the higher grade of bit set, at least that is the implication in the PDF Manual in the link in my post.
    The Picture that Mark posted looked exactly like a pic I saw on the Rose Antique's auction page.
    I can't say that I do or don't have relatives in Newfoundland, it would pretty cool if I did. My sister is the Genealogical sleuth in our family, I barely know anyone past my aunts and uncles. I was always referred to as "Sharon's Other Boy" growing up. To further complicate the issue I was born and raised in Southern California. I came east with the Navy in 1978 and have always enjoyed New England, so I stayed. I like it alot here. I miss some things in California, but I don't think I could move back anymore. No slam on the boyz' it's just not me anymore.

Thanks for the info, Mike. That was an interesting link. Anyone have other links to old Irwin tools?
    Glenn

I'm sure that there were many different brands of Irwin augers. I have a set of 6 Morrisons (Sheffield, England) that I picked up about a year ago in new condition.

Regards from Perth

Derek