Hello all,
First post but I've spent quite awhile reading all the other posts, especially in the workshop section. I've spent the last year designing (and worrying over) my workshop. We are about 2 weeks away from breaking ground. While I'm sure I have not covered all my basis; I've spent enough time on this site as well as talking with other woodworkers so that I've got a good plan. I thought it would be fun to post the construction as we go.

I'm a general woodworker (rookie by most measures). I tackle various woodworking projects and I think the bug is permanent. I have built one small boat and my wife is ready to reclaim the garage. When I mentioned starting a canoe; she demanded the shop!

It'll be a 24'x24' seperate, stand-alone building, attached to our garage by a pergola (neighborhood restrictions require it be attached). It'll have a 10' interior ceiling w/ a decked attic above. Since it's a hipped roof, we'll have a cupola installed for added ventilation.

I plan a 100amp subpanel off the main w/ multiple 20amp circuits and dedicated 220 circuits for future dust collector and table saw. I currently have a 14" bandsaw, 12" CMS, stationary sander, compressor and various power and hand tools.

2circuits for fluorescent lighting (plan to come from lighting store). The building includes an extra "shed" on the south side for noisy items like compressor and dust collector. It'll be isolated from the shop by sound insulation. The east side is actually a small greenhouse for my wife's gardening habit.

Ceiling, walls and floor will be 3/8", 1/2" & 3/4" plywood respectively. Ceiling and walls will be painted white. Grey floor will beT&G floated over the concrete slab on 2x4s.

I learned to use SketchUp while laying out the shop and the following are 2 arrangment images. The last is the preliminary plan view of the drawing.

layout1.jpglayout2.jpgPlan view.jpg

If anyone is interested, I'll post more as construction gets under way.