Thread: DIY Home Security Systems - anyone done this ?

DIY Home Security Systems - anyone done this ?

I am looking at installing a DIY Home Security System.

Searching the internet, there are many companies/products to choose from.

I would be interested to hear what models others have installed and what their
    satisfaction level is.

Howie

Hi Howie,

I sent you a PM. Did you get it?

Sam

Sam, I have not received your PM

thanks, Howie

Howie..It's possible folks are reluctant to discuss details of their security systems on a public forum.

Good point Ted.

I sent you another PM.

Two of the more popular ones on one of the Automation/Security forums, Cocoontech, I am on are Elk M1G and the HAI OmniPro II.

I am not much of an electrician,but at my last house,I bought an extension of our house security system and installed it in our garage,complete with a siren. Worked great.

I thought sure you were going to say something about a Big Mean Dog...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Someone send me a PM too. I would like to hear about a system that can send me a text or email when someone enters server rooms at my client locations. It doesn't need to trigger a horn or anything, just tell me when someone is in there.

Blog Entries
    I will vaguely say that where I live, a monitored system reduces your insurance nearly enough to pay for that service. A non-monitored system didn't count for much. I will say that cellular and power backup is a comfort as most systems rely on phone line to call for help in the event of a trigger. Like many things there is a line to cross where the expense garners a true benefit vs. just a cool feature.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I installed my system in my previous residence myself and then contracted with a local firm for monitoring. There was a local distributor who would sell to the public at that point...pre-Internet stores, as it were. Folks like SmartHome now offer similar capabilities with name-brand equipment and a very reasonable monitoring service fee.

I did opt to use a local company for my current security system as the price was actually quite reasonable and they cheerfully service the "little things" that sometimes happen with electronics and wireless devices. (the nature of our home requires use of wireless)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I can understand not wanting to discuss specifics, but a few links to research would be more than helpful. So are the thing I learned was that monitored systems are best and cellular notification is even better. Are there any publications or how to sites that would be worth the time to study?
    Carol in NV

Carol,

Go to www.homesecuritystore.com, then go to support. You will fine a good security forum with a lot of info.

Sam

Thanks, Sam.
    Carol in NV