Thread: Roland GX 24

Roland GX 24

Last year I bought out enough vinyl cutting to pay for a cutter, so I decided to go for it!
    I couldn't afford the printer cutter (just yet) so I opted for the GX 24. Should be in, in a week or two.
    Already have the first job in the wings for $500 so I will be off and running!

Anything special I ought to be aware of with this cutter?

What cool things have folks done that just aren't tee shirts and basic signage?

Is there a clip art disc available designed just for cutters?

I'm sure I will have more questions when I get to play...ummmm work with it! ;-)

Thanks!
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

That's decent low-medium volume plotter that should do fine for you. If you have the installation skills the best money maker is vehicle lettering, big trucks especially. You'll need to learn to apply over rivets. Figure $75/hour installation plus the lettering. There are vector clipart sets available through the sign business magazines, but if you can find an old Corel 5 CD for sale cheap pick it up, that has always been a great source of good art (and fonts) for vinyl.

Good luck and have fun.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks Joe!
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

I have been doing license tags for fundraising... but (as in my other post) be aware that orange (and red) tags will fade.

We bought our inexpensive cutter when we wanted to letter our own vehicles, and it's been a nice addition.
    You can also use it to cut lettering for t-shirts if you don't want to use the laser for that.
    I believe calendared vinyl is for flat surfaces, cast vinyl is for going over lumps like rivets.
    I think I got a cd of designs for $1 at Sign Warehouse when they had a special, but I haven't done much with it.
    ULS X-660 CO2 50 watt (July 2008), Corel X7, Photograv, GX 7000 for dye sub, Graphtec vinyl plotter, Rayzist Sandcarving system (Nov 2018), JPT MOPA M6 30 watt Fiber Laser (May 2019)

My cutter came in! It had been back ordered. About a half hour putting the stand together,
    loading software, running a test & bingo! 45 minutes into the whole set-up cut a logo
    and pressed to a shirt. Much easier than I expected! I can run right from Corel with the plug in.
    Now....since this is an optical cutter any recommendations for a small printer?
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,