Thread: Mounting vise on endgrain

Mounting vise on endgrain

Picked up a Jorgensen 7" vise today. The vise mounts via two heavy screws and washers into the bottom of the table, and two screws through the rear jaw into the edge of the table. Glancing through the instructions, it mentions not to mount the vise into endgrain, as face grain will be more secure. Well, shoot - I wasn't planning on capping the ends of the bench, but was planning on using this in the end vise position. Is this really a huge issue? I'd assume that of course, the hold would be better in face grain, but didn't think it would be a real issue mounting it in end grain. I could substitute longer screws, I suppose, for added insurance. I assume that even if the screws worked out, I'll notice something's wrong long before it's in danger of falling on my foot . . .

Although I suppose adding a cap to the bench would get me a few extra inches of length, and mean I get to do my mortise in something easier than the end grain of this stupid maple. (I'm begining to hate working with this maple . . . ) But if the end cap was going to be held on with screws as well, we're back at screws in end grain again . . .

Given your concern how about installing some dowels 3/4"-1" diameter to intersect those screws. Viola, facegrain.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

You could scrap the screws and instead use machine bolts with cross dowels (barrel nuts) drilled into to benchtop from the bottom. Course you'd have to drill nice straight holes into the bench end to intersect with those cross dowels holes but that's do-able.
    Use the fence Luke

Clever idea, Trevor! Hadn't occurred to me. I was actually just thinking about Doug's idea - I just checked to make sure that I could make that work. No interference with the other screws, so it's doable, but I'd probably have to mount the barrel nuts from the top, as the vise casting would get in the way and make it pretty difficult to line things up if I went from the bottom. But they'd be recessed enough I could hide them with plugs if they bothered me.

Still wondering if it's enough of an issue to worry about. I'm tempted to just go ahead and see what happens - I've seen plenty of other vises mounted into the end grain (although they usually have more mounting points on the bottom) and I figure even if it doesn't hold, I can always go back and use the barrel nut method after the fact.

Thanks for dealing with all my stupid questions, lately, folks.