Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I think it is time to give up watching woodworking on TV.

If anyone has PBS Create channel, there are some woodworking shows there. It works best to have a DVR 'cause they're can be broadcast early mornings, they're clearly not considered "prime time" fare by PBS programmers.

For my $$ I would rather spend the time in the shop than watching other people in their shop. I have seen an episode here and there of some of them and the signal / noise ratio is so low that I generally view them as a waste of time. If there is something specific I am looking for help with I look to YouTube.

Kinda like the Tour de France - I am also a cyclist and was watching a stage of the tour one beautiful day this summer. My wife passed by the tv, stopped and said "you do realize that it is beautiful outside and you are sitting here inside watching OTHER people ride bikes - right?"
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Blog Entries
    Roy Underhill was on at 5 pm yesterday. He's not dog meat.

Well, ya obviously need a makeup artist.
    Lookin' forward to the next episode.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Charles Neal is the only guy worth watching any more since Norm retired. I gave up on woodworking shows on PBS completly. Daved Marks had a excillent show but is no longer to be found. As far as Scott is concerned, he is more interested in entertaining his wife. There is nothing wrong with having and instructing the wife in the shop, but when you are presenting a show do not spend half the time showing here what to do and correcting her mistakes. Woodsmith is only interested in promoting and selling there magazine. You get what you pay for I guess. The last few programs from the American Woodshop here in Phoenix were about building a deck. If I wanted to watch deck building I would watch This Old House. Tommy Mac is a great guy but he rushes everything he does and talks even faster.
    Last edited by Don Selke; 09-12-2012 at 6:47 PM.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    Kinda like the Tour de France - I am also a cyclist and was watching a stage of the tour one beautiful day this summer. My wife passed by the tv, stopped and said "you do realize that it is beautiful outside and you are sitting here inside watching OTHER people ride bikes - right?"

Now that is pretty funny......

If you don't know where you're going, you can't get there. -- My wife said that. Wives are pretty smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    The Carvewright though interests my wife, so I could probably get away with scoring one of those given a good enough deal!
    A lot of women love the CarveWright! I often hear guys say, their wife wouldn't let them. I tell them to go get their wives!

Connie
    Sales & Marketing for LHR Technologies, the makers of CarveWright System