Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I think it is time to give up watching woodworking on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hawser View Post
    What about Roy Underhill? Surely you have him on TV? Did you ever notice his show is one single solid 30 minute take. There are no cuts and no breaks. That is, I think, amazing. Try it some time, I think 99.999% of us would fail.

I remember an interview with David Marks and doing that show was a real pain for him and it did not make him rich or famous. Still, like you I wish he was back or even reruns for crying out loud. Heck, they show the same darn shows 5 times a day and everyone has a DVR, but these great shows are just gone. Meanwhile why doesn't Netflix have them? Sorry, had to vent.

The pocket screw guy is just awful. I tried watching him, but it is just the same thing over and over. I'm amazed at how he uses the lathe so often, but then whips out the pocket screws every single time.

Jeff D, I read this on some post a long time ago, but it sounds like your show could be, "The Wood Screamer." That would be hilarious and probably very realistic for many of us including me on some days.
    I love Roy and his show, and he is very talented. I especially like seeing that a lot of his joinery has warts on it that he didn't take the time to clean up, and I love that he spends just as much time talking about the tools and their history as he does on the actual woodworking. I'd love to see a power tool version of Roy.

I've not watched a diy show since marks left. I watch Charles Neil's weekly ww show on the web (its fee based) but you get a good product. I don't go out much so as far as entertainment it's two movies a month of cost.

Blog Entries
    You guys may already know this but at newyankee.com they are showing an old episode each week these days. Hope it lasts.

Only woodworking shows I'm getting right now are New Yankee Workshop reruns and Roy's show. We used to get Roughcuts but not the last few months.

I like all those shows.

PHM

Think we (Birmingham Public TV) got all the original Rough Cut episodes and one round of repeats,then it went away. I suspect it will be back with the new season...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    You guys may already know this but at newyankee.com they are showing an old episode each week these days. Hope it lasts.

Only woodworking shows I'm getting right now are New Yankee Workshop reruns and Roy's show. We used to get Roughcuts but not the last few months.

I like all those shows.

PHM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    You guys may already know this but at newyankee.com they are showing an old episode each week these days. Hope it lasts. PHM
    I watch these every week. I'm a little concerned right now because they haven't put up a new one and the schedule link says there is nothing scheduled. I hope they keep it going.

I assumed they would run these for a while then move them into some kind of subscription based content. Kinda like the Router Workshop guys have done. Kinda aggravating, I bought all their first set of DVDs and was anxiously awaiting the next installment and they switched...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    I watch these every week. I'm a little concerned right now because they haven't put up a new one and the schedule link says there is nothing scheduled. I hope they keep it going.

I am also really missing my weekly dose of Norm!

Saturday morning was just not the same without a few minutes with the master... I sincerely hope that the web casts soon resume.

Ater more than two years of no cable at all, we just couldn't take it anymore. We just ordered U-Verse. We'll probably spend the next two months watching HGTV and DIY all day. Maybe even see a woodworking show or two.

I'm not a fan of video for learning things - it's too slow and it's very hard to go back and find something later when you want to review some step. I'd much rather have still pictures and text.

While some presenters are direct and to the point, some wander around so much that you get irritated waiting for them to say and do something worth while. It's hard to fast forward in those situations because you don't know where they're going to say something valuable. I think video encourages people to blather. With text, someone (an editor) usually reads the text prior to publication and edits it to remove the extraneous material.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Wood Treks (can't find the link right now of course) has some interesting vids from basics like sharpening to advanced stuff like carving flame finials at North Bennett St. Norm was good but kind of generic. Got hours of early Roy on tape and still look back at it. Never saw David Marks but sure wish I could have from comments I've read about him. I haven't been able to find Rough Cut on any of the 3 PBS stations I get but all 3 show TOH.
    I don't know what type of projects have been shown on Rough Cut but I think the caliber of work shown on his pod casts is kick a** and exactly what I aspire to do. He has a good sense of humor and doesn't think so much of himself that he won't show his mistakes even large ones and goes on to show how he corrected it. It's kind of nice to see something that goes beyond high school woodshop. Tim Yoder sparked me to play with my lathe again but I think the show is better when he has guests. As far as Scott Phillips goes he is the Ned Flanders of woodworking and should be behind the counter at Safeway wrapping hamburger. Drives me beserk.

Blog Entries
    I just discovered WoodWorkers Guild of America website (wwgoadotcom). Lots of info in articles and videos for beginners and some good stuff for experienced, as well. Some here are advanced enough they won't need it but a newbie here might find it helpful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    I like Woodsmith Shop, sometimes and even Scott Phillips, sometimes. When Phillips shows a carving and later gets to it in the show and rolls out the CNC Router, it really ticks me off. Hobbyists don't have that kind of equipment.
    Aaargh! Today I happened to catch a rerun of him building a jewelry box / treasure chest. The completed one shown at the beginning had a nice Newport shell carving on the top and the joinery was pin and cove. Cool I thought, it would be interesting to see the shell carved (Norm did one once) and I was really interested to see how the pin and cove joints were done.

<sigh>

The "carving" was done with with a Carveright CNC system and the actual project used routed dovetails with a typical jig. I sure didn't get much out of either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cogswell View Post
    Aaargh! Today I happened to catch a rerun of him building a jewelry box / treasure chest. The completed one shown at the beginning had a nice Newport shell carving on the top and the joinery was pin and cove. Cool I thought, it would be interesting to see the shell carved (Norm did one once) and I was really interested to see how the pin and cove joints were done.

<sigh>

The "carving" was done with with a Carveright CNC system and the actual project used routed dovetails with a typical jig. I sure didn't get much out of either of them.
    I love watching Scott's show....just to watch his crazy ideas. It's more entertaining than educational. I can honestly say I have not learned anything from him. He tries to make his show accessible, but then uses tools like the carvewright. Or he uses techniques like making drawers out of 16/4 material by slabbing off each drawer face. Not only does it make a terrible drawer from a technique standpoint, but material of that size is outrageously expensive. He never dimensions his stock and I've seen the projects wobbling and shaking. So badly out of square you can tell on TV. His wife drives me nuts and the ways that shellac is slopped onto each project is insane. He's a pretty good turner from what it seems....he should stick to stationary metal and spinning wood, instead of the other way around.

Anybody remember Roy Underhill? At least I think thats his name. A true neander.

Blog Entries
    I am just glad I recorded about 30 David Marks shows on DVD so I can get my fix every once in a while. Although with all of the cr** on most of the 700 cable channels, including about 30 cooking shows, one good WW show ought to be able to make it.