Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I think it is time to give up watching woodworking on TV.

I think it is time to give up watching woodworking on TV.

Norm retired, David Marks is not on TV, Tommy Mac is not on my local stations, and those Woodsmith guys are just too remedial and dorky. And then there is some guy with a Woodturning show, but he drives me crazy and I'm not a turner.

And then there is that Scott guy on American Woodshop who slaps stuff together very sloppily. It turns my stomach to see him Kreg everything together and hose it down with shellac.

Who is left? I'd love to see David Marks come back, or let Lonnie Bird or comparable have a chance.

So I guess I'll hock the TV for a byrd head planer and make some sawdust on my own for lack of any good WW shows.

While you're at it, take a video of what you are doing and post it on You Tube. Voila! New show!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I would, but my shop is too dirty, and I'm too fat and ugly to entertain this forum! I'm a one-trick pony - I can shoot a rotten pumpkin 20' through my snowblower in a month or two!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    While you're at it, take a video of what you are doing and post it on You Tube. Voila! New show!
    This is a truly excellent idea. I was thinking of doing something like this on my next guitar, not as a tutorial, but just for fun and maybe encouragement for others to do the same.

Tom: Nonsense! You're never too fat and ugly to entertain us Looking forward to the pumpkin shooting video.

I have to agree with the OP about the Woodsmith shop. I used to feel obligated to record and watch the show simply because it was ww'ing on TV, but even though it's ww'ing I just can't stand how dorky the guys are! It's like a kids show from the 70's or something.

Give David Marks a show!

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    This is a truly excellent idea. I was thinking of doing something like this on my next guitar, not as a tutorial, but just for fun and maybe encouragement for others to do the same. Tom: Nonsense! You're never too fat and ugly to entertain us Looking forward to the pumpkin shooting video.
    Do it!!!! I would love to see more home grown YouTube stuff. I record all the Saturday shows I get in the Nashville area but I really enjoy watching stuff on my computer and phone as well. Old David Marks and Norm or The Wood Whisperer, Matt's basement workshop, whatever I can find. I don't have to love or agree with everything I see but I enjoy other people's perspectives.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Zillig View Post

So I guess I'll hock the TV for a byrd head planer and make some sawdust on my own for lack of any good WW shows.
    This is a good idea, think of what you want to build, how you want to build it, what tools you want to use, and just go do it.

I haven't seen a woodworking show in a long time. They're a waste of time to watch - much better use of time to do something, stop when you need information and go get only information that you need.

I found some set of videos for some "blog" video show on Mediafly. It was actually some heavy set guy working in a pretty cramped, pretty messy shop doing some regular type of projects. I'd love to see more shows like that, the more warts the better. If everything goes perfectly when I do it, then seeing someone else doing it perfectly doesn't help me. But if somebody has to whip out the "board stretcher" because of a botched cut, THAT I can use.

As a guy, I watch a video on woodworking and honestly never think, "Wasn't that woodworker slim and handsome with a clean shop!".

All I'm thinking about is, "I bet I could do that!".
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Norm was the last woodworking show our local PBS carried until he retired and they don't show any of the other available shows and I don't get DIY or HGTV on the off-chance they showed real woodworkers again. Fortunately there are enough home-grown videos on the net or past episodes of some of the commercial shows still available to get my fix when I need it. I agree, it would be nice to have some good quality shows out there again to maybe inspire some of the younger woodworkers again but it possible that with the way media is now distributed on the 'net, we may end up with the local guy posting his own project videos.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

My wife thought I should do a woodworking show, you know the kind where guys are constantly swearing at each other and throwing things around the shop. That's really all that counts, the actual finished product is almost secondary. How bout' 'American Wood Chopper'?

I just don't think the wood dust would translate to a mass audience the way sparks off a grinding wheel or welder do

ahhh well,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    If everything goes perfectly when I do it, then seeing someone else doing it perfectly doesn't help me. But if somebody has to whip out the "board stretcher" because of a botched cut, THAT I can use.
    I'm with you on the value of seeing mistakes, how you recover from them and then an analysis of what went wrong.

This is one of the values I've found in Rob Cosman's online handtoolworkshop (.com) site. He recently made a dovetail corner, sliding top candlebox *totally* by hand (scrub plane to remove wind in the rough board, hand saws, chisels, planes, etc.) and when he assembled it there were some issues. He walked through fixing it (as best possible), finishing it and completed the series of episodes with an analysis of what likely happened and how to avoid it in the future. The construction of this box consisted of 18 thirty-minute unedited episodes, filmed in high definition video with lots of close-ups, where things were displayed larger than life-size and you could really *see* what things were going well and where there were problems. Then, with a forum for me to post my questions, it's almost like attending class in person.

While it takes a confident WWer to post unedited video of such a long project, seeing the "warts" makes it all the more real... and gives a novice like me confidence I can work through my own mistakes.

Note: While this is a commercial site I have no vested interest in the venture, beyond my membership at the site and feeling, after several months of membership, that I am getting fabulous value for my educational $$$.

Above I mentioned it's almost like attending a class in person. I have and will continue to attend classes offered by various woodworkers when they area available but actually feel that in some ways I'm getting better value onlune. In a class I am one of 12 or 24 people gathered around an instructor as they teach and its sometimes tough to see. With the HD video I can really see everything, backing up and replaying any part I desire.

I feel the days of the WW (and many other skill-building topics) on TV are numbered.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I'd like to see a woodworking show where evey bit of the work on the project is shown - mistakes and all. It would run at normal speed for some portions (showing how to on an operation or explanatory/discussion segments) but other stuff - the repetitive stuff like the other three corners of the drawer dovetails, the sanding between finish coats etc. would all be there, just shown in a time lapse sped up kind of way. It would give folks a true sense of what goes into a project. It would also be funny to have the time lase bit stop and go to normal when a snag was hit and a fix had to be shown, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    I'd like to see a woodworking show where evey bit of the work on the project is shown - mistakes and all. It would run at normal speed for some portions (showing how to on an operation or explanatory/discussion segments) but other stuff - the repetitive stuff like the other three corners of the drawer dovetails, the sanding between finish coats etc. would all be there.
    That's what Tommy Mac's old webcast was! Then it was squeezed into a 30 minute format for PBS.
    Mark Maleski

The Logan Cabinet Shoppe webcast is closer to my actual working pace.

His show is about the method, fit and finish of the project.