Thread: Couple of vl300 questions:vacuum attachment and mobility

Couple of vl300 questions:vacuum attachment and mobility

How are folks attaching their vacuum chuck plumbing to their vl300/s? Is the port male or female on the outboard end of the spindle and what thread size. Any pics?

Also what are folks using for mobility kits to move the vl300? Wonder if the big pneumatic OW wheelset could be juryrigged to move a vl300.....

Have you got it or still shopping. Wish I could help. Glenn Lucas ought to be able to help.
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"

Bill,

A friend of mine has a long bed VL300. He made some caster mounts and just picks it up and puts them under the base. The outboard spindle thread is 1 1/4" x 8 I believe.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kubien View Post
    Have you got it or still shopping. Wish I could help. Glenn Lucas ought to be able to help.
    Don't have one yet, really close to a decision on one one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Luce View Post
    How are folks attaching their vacuum chuck plumbing to their vl300/s? Is the port male or female on the outboard end of the spindle and what thread size. Any pics?

Also what are folks using for mobility kits to move the vl300? Wonder if the big pneumatic OW wheelset could be juryrigged to move a vl300.....
    1.jpg2.jpg2.jpg

Hi Bill, Cant help with mobility as I just move mine about with a trolley jack, the outboard end is female I'm not sure of thread size, but I've take some pictures of the part required I purchased it from Phil Irons in the UK, hope this helps.3.jpg
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Newson View Post
    1.jpg2.jpg2.jpg

Hi Bill, Cant help with mobility as I just move mine about with a trolley jack, the outboard end is female I'm not sure of thread size, but I've take some pictures of the part required I purchased it from Phil Irons in the UK, hope this helps.3.jpg
    Hi David, Thanks for the pics. Does it screw in and out easily? What is the hole on the front of the headstock? Drawing a blank on what it might be. Thanks , Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Luce View Post
    Hi David, Thanks for the pics. Does it screw in and out easily? What is the hole on the front of the headstock? Drawing a blank on what it might be. Thanks , Bill
    Hi Bill, Yes it does screw in easily although in picture 1 you can see flats cut for a spanner I personally don't use a spanner I just grip by hand and rotate the black andonised body just hand tight you may have noticed a "0" ring fitted against the shoulder of the threaded shaft which forms a good airtight seal, your second question I believe you may be referring to is a small glass/perspex window which is to view which pulley the belt is on rather than remove belt/pulley cover on opposite side of headstock, its was a feature on Vicmarc VL300 SHORT EVS when purchased although its not now shown on Vicmarc VL300 SHORT ASM EVS only the bench mount model VL300 SHORT BM 3 SPEED, but I have found the variable speed works great when belt is on the middle pulley and after five plus years of use turning all sizes of wood and types of timber I have not had the need to move the belt, forgot to mention don't leave the rotating vacuum adaptor attached when not using vacuum chuck because of dust going inside of headstock shaft and being suck into vacuum motor/filter.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Newson View Post
    Hi Bill, Yes it does screw in easily although in picture 1 you can see flats cut for a spanner I personally don't use a spanner I just grip by hand and rotate the black andonised body just hand tight you may have noticed a "0" ring fitted against the shoulder of the threaded shaft which forms a good airtight seal, your second question I believe you may be referring to is a small glass/perspex window which is to view which pulley the belt is on rather than remove belt/pulley cover on opposite side of headstock, its was a feature on Vicmarc VL300 SHORT EVS when purchased although its not now shown on Vicmarc VL300 SHORT ASM EVS only the bench mount model VL300 SHORT BM 3 SPEED, but I have found the variable speed works great when belt is on the middle pulley and after five plus years of use turning all sizes of wood and types of timber I have not had the need to move the belt, forgot to mention don't leave the rotating vacuum adaptor attached when not using vacuum chuck because of dust going inside of headstock shaft and being suck into vacuum motor/filter.
    David,

WWE sells that one although their pic is out of date. I asked Glenn L about adapters and he ways he uses both that V one and the OW one and they both work great. OW adapter naturally requires taking the handwheel off.

He also told me awhile back that the new Vicmarcs come with a spring loaded back pulley over, so may be they think the peek hole is no longer needed?

Thanks for the pics.
    Last edited by Bill Luce; 10-25-2011 at 10:50 AM.