Thread: Wood Gloat

Wood Gloat

Just started building a Corporate Headquarters building for a good client, not much sizable good wood on this site ( tried to get a nice sweetgum and an elm tree, but the logging company yanked the timber off before I could get out there ... ) they did manage to save me this cedar tree. Now being a good client of ours, I plan on at least getting 4 bowls for the principals and a couple for my guys that helped me cut / load the tree.

Havent turned cedar yet, but this stuff looks very nice!!!! The largest cross section is about 14-16" dia, I got slices all the way to about 8-10", the rest was chewed up ...

web 2011 Red Cedar 001.jpgweb 2011 Red Cedar 002.jpgweb 2011 Red Cedar 003.jpgweb 2011 Red Cedar 004.jpg

Lee,

My experience is that you need to get it sealed as minimum, but I would cut out a pith slab (about 15% diameter removed) if you are planning on standard side grain orientation bowls. There should be some good bowls there if turned bark side out that will end up having both sap and heart wood along with some natural surface showing on the outside, and possibly on the inside as well. Some of those crevices go in quite a bit. Nice score.

Thanks Thomas.

I think I will cut out a few blanks tomorrow and get them sealed, and anchor seal the rest of the logs. I'd like to take a smaller section to one of my Creeker neighbors to maybe show me how his hollowing rig works ....I think I have a natural edge vase in one of the smaller pieces.

In the second picture, I see the makings of a turned turkey, so I may try to turn a turkey ...haha

Lee, I would be happy to turn some cedar with you. It makes the shop smell great! We'll hollow out the piece and hopefully end up with a nice vase. Give me a call!
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

That is some good looking cedar. Great gloat. I agree on getting the pith out. I had some big cedar and it started cracking before I got home with it. I cut the pith out and sealed as soon as I got home.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Pretty wood Lee. Here is something you might try if you can find a big enough lathe and want something different.
    Red Cedar.jpg
    It was started between centers and one end was flattened to attach a faceplate with long screws. When finished, it sits on its own natural stand/pedestal. Done in a demo by sashleymurphy.com. On my someday list.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hamilton View Post
    Lee, I would be happy to turn some cedar with you. It makes the shop smell great! We'll hollow out the piece and hopefully end up with a nice vase. Give me a call!
    Will do! I was looking for a good excuse for taking you up on the hollowing demo! Should I try to shape the outside on my own first???

Let's do it all in one at once to keep some mass in the base...makes for less wobble. So, said directly, no, don't shape the outside first.
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Will do. It may be a few more weeks until I am ready (had some minor surgery last week, and I probably shouldnt have tried to cut slabs w/ chainsaw today .... )

I could hear that cedar cracking as I was putting the anchorseal on..haha ... at least I know where to make my cuts when I am ready!!!!

Looks like nice stuff. Cedar has waited well for me to turn it, even without sealing; guess I've just been lucky. Have fun with this!