Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Broken item purchased at the Creek, what to do?

FYI - I ran this by the moderators, first.

Is it bad form to call someone out like this? Perhaps.
    Is it less than honest to sell something as complete? Maybe.

Is it careless to send something without insurance to pocket the $1.25? Definitely.

Should anyone buy from Andy Maldoror off the creek? At the buyer's discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    FYI - I ran this by the moderators, first.

Is it bad form to call someone out like this? Perhaps.
    Is it less than honest to sell something as complete? Maybe.

Is it careless to send something without insurance to pocket the $1.25? Definitely.

Should anyone buy from Andy Maldoror off the creek? At the buyer's discretion.

I normally wouldn't get into this but you clearly stated that you had agreed to the terms. You didn't request insurance or sepc out the packing for what I can read in the 1st post. You said it was well packaged.

If it left the seller in good shape it's the carrier fault, file a claim and move on...

Jim, I can weld that for you, people here at the Creek have been very generous and helpful to me, maybe I can help a fellow creeker in return. If I can help send me a PM. Dave

Blog Entries
    To me, and this is just my $.02, both the buyer and the seller have responsibilites in a used tool transaction on a forum like this.

It's the buyers resposibilty to get payment to the seller and the sellers responsibility to get the item packed and shipped at the agreed upon ship date.

I have made about 10 transactions with creekers to date and no problems at all on either end. When buying things from others I think every single creeker I've bought something from cared that I was happy with the product and that it got to me in ok condition. Same for me on the couple of occasions when I've sold something.

I'm really not trying to tell others what they should do, but I do think there are responsbilites on both parties and the above works for me and the creekers I've dealt with.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by brian c miller View Post
    I normally wouldn't get into this but you clearly stated that you had agreed to the terms. You didn't request insurance or sepc out the packing for what I can read in the 1st post. You said it was well packaged.

If it left the seller in good shape it's the carrier fault, file a claim and move on...
    Well packed in newsprint, doesn't mean it was sufficiently packed to protect from damage. Heavier items require better packaging.

To the OP: Personally, a piece of 3/8" plate steel, the proper size piece of steel tubing, and a little cutting, drilling, and welding will produce a base that far exceeds the original in terms of strength.

FWIW, I've purchased a few things from 'creekers and the common thing that struck me is that all the items were excessively well packed. Could probably have survived being dropped off the truck on the Interstate! Must be some application of the golden rule, ship from as you would be shipped to...
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 10-25-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    Well packed in newsprint, doesn't mean it was sufficiently packed to protect from damage. Heavier items require better packaging.....
    If this is the case, insurance is moot. Any claim (UPS, USPS, FedEx) would be denied when the packing was examined.