Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now that the Powermatic 45 is restored

Now that the Powermatic 45 is restored

Well now that my lathe is restored to the original condition, I am looking forward to many turning projects.
    Operational Lathe.jpg

Restoration started back June 11, 2011 this year and finished October 22, 2011. I tested the system and it worked fine.
    I did the nickle test, with a unbalanced piece of wood and the lathe up on the mobile base, it passed with flying colors.
    nickle test with unbalanced wood spinning!.jpg

So now I have a lot of tools to purchase. I have thought about a test set of turning tools (HSS) to learn with before making the jump to some good tools.

Any suggestions on face plates, live centers or accessories feel free to give me a hint.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ration-project
    The last time I saw the light at the end of the tunnel it was another train heading at me...

Doug, that sure is a sweet looking lathe!! You realize, of course, that asking this bunch for suggestions on accessories is really, really dangerous!! I hope you have saved up some money, because they will have it all spent before the day is out!

Were it me, I would buy the Harbor Freight set of HSS tools to play with - about $40 on sale, or less with a coupon sometimes. I still use several of them. And, I would probably look at a chuck vs. a faceplate. Other than for a donut chuck, I never use a faceplate - though some turners use them a lot and prefer them. If the live center you have is functional, I think that would be at the bottom of my want list for now.

Prioritize!! The list will get long - endless, actually. So, it is important to buy tools as you need them instead of jumping in too deep at the beginning.

Nice lathe! The live center looks a bit funny... almost like the taper does not match the tailstock. Second the HF set... it is pretty decent.

You did a great restoration on the lathe. I enjoyed watching it progress! A grinder and sharpening system of some type such as the Oneway wolverine would probably be a help as well. Sharp tools of any type will make it a lot more fun.

That is one sweet looking lathe. The live center doesn't look right to me either. Is that an M2 tapered live center in possibly an M1 taper tailstock???
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

Doug,
    If you like old iron, and you obviously do, you just have to love your lathe and admire the work you did to bring it to this condition. Congratulations and best of luck with it. I agree with Tim that the taper doesn't look like it fits but if you were savvy enough to rebuild and do such a great job, I'm sure you already checked that. Still, I would save the center currently on your tail stock and find one with a cup center. Though they are perfect for some applications there are times a cone just isn't the right thing to use. They have a tendency to sink in the wood in some applications and allow the piece to get loose. As for tools buy an inexpensive 3/8" spindle gouge, a 1/2" bowl gouge and a parting tool. You won't wear them out turning but you won't hesitate to experiment with different grinds if you know the tool is expendable.
    faust

I spent several years making parts for those at Powermatic when I was younger. Sweet rebuild!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Tbat sure looks like a #3 taper in a #2 hole. I would suggest getting the proper taper so not to risk injury or messing up the tail stock ram.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

That looks awesome. I have some questions about the 45, whats the max turning diameter.... max length... and HP of that ole machine??
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Great looking restore. I bought this set 6 yrs ago and still use all of them today. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCHSS8.html Yes I have a lot more expensive tools now but these are a good starter set and have most everything you need to get started.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Doug, that sure is a sweet looking lathe!! You realize, of course, that asking this bunch for suggestions on accessories is really, really dangerous!! I hope you have saved up some money, because they will have it all spent before the day is out!

Were it me, I would buy the Harbor Freight set of HSS tools to play with - about $40 on sale, or less with a coupon sometimes. I still use several of them. And, I would probably look at a chuck vs. a faceplate. Other than for a donut chuck, I never use a faceplate - though some turners use them a lot and prefer them. If the live center you have is functional, I think that would be at the bottom of my want list for now.

Prioritize!! The list will get long - endless, actually. So, it is important to buy tools as you need them instead of jumping in too deep at the beginning.
    Thank you John I will do just that. My wife just asked what I wanted for Christmas and I told her a 4 jaw chuck. We will see :-)
    The last time I saw the light at the end of the tunnel it was another train heading at me...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Leiter View Post
    That is one sweet looking lathe. The live center doesn't look right to me either. Is that an M2 tapered live center in possibly an M1 taper tailstock???
    I questioned that live center myself so I will be checking it out and I'll get back to ya.

Thanks Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    That looks awesome. I have some questions about the 45, whats the max turning diameter.... max length... and HP of that ole machine??
    Its 12" over the bed and 16" over the gap. Distance between centers is 39". The old motor was 3/4 but I have put a 1 HP in. A friend of mine has come up with a 2 HP and is giving it to me. One of the original problems with the Powermatic 45 and 90 was that they were both under powered (or so I have been told).

Thanks Doug.
    Last edited by Doug Morgan; 10-23-2011 at 8:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Great looking restore. I bought this set 6 yrs ago and still use all of them today. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCHSS8.html Yes I have a lot more expensive tools now but these are a good starter set and have most everything you need to get started.
    That's in my price range. Thank you. I figured to pick up the Harbor Freight set to learn with and advance to better tools as I learn. I can't prove it but when I look at the harbor freight and penn state tools, the have the same markings, handles, brass cups at the top of the handle and HHS steel. That would raise the question are they from the same distributor or manufacturer? I mean right down to the lettering on the steel. Same font and spacing on the tools. The handles have the same two rings on both ends and a single in the middle with the same taper. Makes one wonder...

Thank You.
    Doug
    Last edited by Doug Morgan; 10-23-2011 at 8:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    I spent several years making parts for those at Powermatic when I was younger. Sweet rebuild!

Sid
    Thanks Sid. I really enjoyed it.

Doug