Thread: A box in the mail

A box in the mail

Came home from work yesterday to find a large flat rate box on the porch!
    A few weeks ago I sent my Jamieson Hollower DVD to Chris Burgess to help him set up his new hollower. Well I guess his post office was out of the small flat rate boxes, so he used a large and then added some filler to keep the DVD from banging around in the box!
    2 beautiful chunks of sweet gum! This is the first sweet gum I've had and it's nice and green. I don't think it will last out the week in it's current form !
    You may also notice the Texas newsprint in the box, don't know if its as rare and valuable as the Kentucky newsprint that DD received, but I think the only way to turn it would be to do a glue up of segments. Guess I'll have to store it in the box until inspiration hits!
    Thanks Chris!
    2011-10-21_16-46-55_33.jpg
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Kathy, this sweet gum looks as if you need to turn something

Kathy,
    I really like to turn sweetgum but have found that it is prone to splitting. Extra care is necessary when drying.

TomC

Sweet! Gum, that is! That should be perfect wood for you, Kathy - it will be turned before the weekend is out!

BTW, that packing is actually "curlies" from where DD turned the Notizie del Giorno!!!

Kathy,

I love the look of sweetgum, but it moves while drying more than any wood I've ever turned.

It also defies the laws of physics! It is capable of abosrbing more than it's volume in oil based finishes!

Kathy,
    I really hope you enjoy turning the sweetgum, just a small thank you for your generosity.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris

Nice looking wood Kathy. I like turning sweet gum and as has been said it does move.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.