Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Template Routing

I'm making a bunch of these, so really wanted to find a reliable solution. And it was there - amongst all the suggestions. Thanks!

I was very reluctant to attempt climb cutting on the router table when hand-holding the workpiece. And since the template is positioned via those dowels, it doesn't easily switch sides. So I tried a two-step process. First using a hand-held router with a bit that has the bearing mounted on the other end, I cut the two problematic areas - now moving downhill. Then I routed around the rest of the template on the router table. Smooth, easy, and, for the first time, not even a hint of catching. I could have accomplished the same thing using a double-bearing pattern bit .

So I'm relieved to not need to buy an relatively expensive spiral bit w/bearings. But don't worry - I've already bought plenty of new toys for the rest of this project...

Also, a drool-proof keyboard helps when exploring the Lee Valley website - and that template sanding drum looks very interesting.
    Last edited by Jeff Bratt; 10-25-2011 at 1:42 AM.
    I've measured three times, cut twice, and it's STILL too short...