Thread: Festool dust extractor long-term reliability

Festool dust extractor long-term reliability

I have an opportunity to purchase a used Festool CT22 for $325. This dust extractor was used in a Production environment by a single craftsman for the last few years. My question is, should I pull the trigger on this unit despite its age and many hours of use? How well do these things hold up long-term?

Thanks in advance!

I have one which gets lots of use. It is maybe four years old. The only failure has been that the outlet on the front shattered. I found a local replacement for a couple of bucks.

I have many Festool tools and a Midi. They are built for the professional worker for sure. I general I think any of their products unless outright abused, should last with minimal repairs for a long time. That being said, $325 seems a little steep in my opinion for a tool I am guess used virtually daily in a professional environment. Just my two cents.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I think the price is too high considering its history.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Prikhodko View Post
    I have an opportunity to purchase a used Festool CT22 for $325. This dust extractor was used in a Production environment by a single craftsman for the last few years. My question is, should I pull the trigger on this unit despite its age and many hours of use? How well do these things hold up long-term?

Thanks in advance!
    I think festools are good professional tools I don't think they are production tools. If it was a production shop then I'd stay away. I went through a couple Midi's in a couple years but they were used alot.

Don

I think those selling Festools often think they are worth 60% - 70% of retail, but I think that is only true with very good to excellent condition. This sounds like a "good" or maybe a little less, plus you could spend close to a hundred for new HEPA filters and bags for this (check out accessory pricing!). I have this same exact vac and love it, but I would think my feel good cost would be $225 - $250.

While Festoo products are a step above most boxed store products, (or several steps in some cases) they are not indistructable. I have had a Kapex (chop saw) fail, and my CT Dust collector would not start up the other day. I pulled it out of its little cubby and after removing it from power and then plugging it back it it mysteriously started working again. I have no reason why.

Another thing to think about is that when you purchase a Festool you get a pretty good warranty. Im pretty sure its not transfurable. As much as I like Festool I would stay away from a CT22 used in a production shop for $325. Way over priced.

Thanks for the excellent feedback folks. I will take the forum's advice and stay away from this one.

Cheers, Alex