Thread: Attaching table top with multiple drawers

Attaching table top with multiple drawers

I'm designing a writing table with 3 drawers, so the divider will be about 6" and with all the other components, how do I attach the table top. There are lots of ways for tables w/o drawers, but I can't seem to find any info. I have the book "Practical Design" - no help there. What are your thoughts?

Have you got any drawings of this table? You could use S-clips or screws through slots in the aprons.

Take a look at this.

No drawings as yet, just sketches. I had a thought will watching some hockey, why not make the top divider, top ledger and the top kicker wider than those below? Wide enough for screw slots for the back, side and just screws in the front. In my sketches, I'm referring to the book "Practical Design Solutions and Strategies", pages 72,73. I think I will need extra help to haul it upstairs from the shop to the den.

There is a desk on my back porch, and what was used for that top was called "Figure-8s" hardware. Looks like a figure 8, except, that one screw goes "up", and the other goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hitchcock View Post
    ...why not make the top divider, top ledger and the top kicker wider than those below? Wide enough for screw slots for the back, side and just screws in the front...
    That would work and is not an unusual way to do it. Only slots on the kickers. The others can be holes.

The figure 8's are ok. I prefer the Tommy Mac way in which you glue a strip of wood about an 1/8th below the top. Then put a screw through an elongated hole into the top. By having the strip slightly below the top allows for the screw to pull the top down tightly against the rails.

He used this technique for the trestle table during Season 1.