Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Birdhouses

More Birdhouses

Well the lady called and said she wanted 6 more mini birdhouses. So I jumped on it today since it was snowing. Yep our first snow and the grass is white. Anyway I tried to make these look like they were made from old barn wood. The one on the right looks the best with what looks like old planks with knots. I burned spots to make it look like the wood had knots all over it. Anyway 3 more to go tomorrow. Lacquer finish on these as I ran out of GF Woodturners Finish but my quart is on the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 10-26-2011 at 10:38 PM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie,
    Always good to see your Birdhouses. Your are the one that got me started on them a couple years ago. Keep up the good work.

Those are really cool! I like the top on the first one and the middle and base of the third one the best. Of course I'd pick the middle for overall best.

I wonder how they would look if you turned the shingles into the wood, then burned the vertical lines?

What are the dimensions? Good looking houses!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Nice ornaments Bernie! I like the added touches of lining the details on the roofs and siding
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Nice work Bernie! The shape you used on the roof is my favorite style and the shingles being less than perfectly symmetrical adds a lot. That might be the type of burning I could handle!

Wow these are great. Nice work.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    C&C Always Welcome
    Hello, my name is Chris, and I am a turnaholic..............
    Hiiii Chris

Thanks for the kind comments.

Jon the size on these are roughly around 4 1/2" long and 2 1/2" wide. The weigh around 1.85 oz.

Baxter I have a picture of my granddads old barn in I guess you could say time lapsed years. I took one about 2 yrs ago and it was 98 yrs old then. The shingles are not symmetrical so thought I would try to emulate it. The sides are long planks and are of varying widths so tried to emulate that on the one on the right. I really like it. I may keep it and just make another one.

Scott just trying to do different things with each batch I make. As I said above I had been looking at some old photo's of our farm and my granddad's for my sister. I saw the old barn and thought now that would be cool.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 10-26-2011 at 11:25 PM.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Those look great Bernie! I like the shingled look!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Bernie, those are some great looking houses. I love the look.

Bernie, the best yet!!! Really like the "barn" one that picks up on your Grandfather's old barn. I understand the asymmetrical idea, but I do wonder if one could turn a slight detente for each layer of shingles and add a little more texture to the roof - might be interesting to try!

cool Bernie, really like this batch of xmas ornaments

Wow - the gallery is going to love these! IMO - this is an excellent example of what 'folk art' is supposed to be! Looking forward to seeing how you develop this new look! I hope you like turning these because I can see your sales growing exponentially!! Very nice work Bernie! Have fun with it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That third one is the best birdhouse that I think I have seen. Incredible job Bernie.

cute...glad she likes your houses

Thanks everyone. Steve I took a couple down to the Gallery and already have orders. Haven't been down there yet but she called and said I needed to come down. Also she told me instead of waiting till after Thanksgiving to put up a tree and decorate it with my ornaments they are going to put it up on 11/01.

John I thought about doing maybe some texture on the roof before I burn but your idea of maybe doing a little carving to accent the shingles then burn I am going to play a bit with it. Thanks.
    Bernie