Thread: If you need the off-size O-ring...

If you need the off-size O-ring...

Just a quick FYI in case you find yourself needing a harder-to-find O-ring, I found "The O-Ring Store" online. Unlike some other online o-ring stores I checked out, you can order just 1 o-ring if you need to, and they will ship USPS for $5. Other places I looked at required minimum orders of $15 or 25 O-rings, and some stores only shipped UPS Ground for $10. The first place I looked, I was going to have to spend $18 due to minimum orders and shipping. At the O-ring store, I paid $8.30 for 5 O-rings (I only needed 1, but figured a few spares would handy.) Also cheaper than driving across town, >IF< I had been able to find anyone locally with the size I needed. Had the O-rings in hand in 3 days.

It's interesting that the site also sells O-ring splice kits. I wonder how that process works.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    It's interesting that the site also sells O-ring splice kits. I wonder how that process works.
    You use straight O-ring material, a cutting jig for a razor blade, and the vulcanizing cement. Doesn't work too well if there will be pulling tension on the O-ring.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Even when I have the original o-ring with me I have never been able to match it up with a new one. I have bought entire faucets because I couldn't find the correct size. How many sizes of o-rings are there?

3,095,002 at last count.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    3,095,002 at last count.
    ... and then each of those are available in 8 different materials for different liquids and temperature ranges.

Rich, there are O-rings in so many things these days.. Here's the size chart from the O-Ring store. I needed one that was 2.25" x .1" to fit one of the jets in my hot tub. The thickness was critical to fit the width of the recess in the jet housing. turns out that is actually a standard size o-ring - a "-140"..

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    You use straight O-ring material, a cutting jig for a razor blade, and the vulcanizing cement. Doesn't work too well if there will be pulling tension on the O-ring.
    Usually it includes a adh. like crazy glue.. I've used these kits to make 1/4" material o-rings 3 inches in diameter for use in valving large high pressure air cylinders up to 5000 psi
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Great O-ring source

You can research o-rings at Parcoinc.com, and then buy inexpensive, quality replacements at oringwarehouse.com.