Thread: wooden bike grips, finish etc.

wooden bike grips, finish etc.

i'm making some wooden bicycle grips on the lathe...first real turning project. these are going to be very tight friction fitting grips. but, i'm going to be making more in the future and was wondering if i do leave some space for expansion, what might be a good way to fix them to the handlebars?

i see that some company is using these aluminum fasteners with screws to tighten. is this type of fastener sold somewhere and what would you call it? how might it attach to the wood?

also, what finish would you recommend for something like this that will be exposed to the elements occasionally and lots of hand rubbing?

Silicone caulk will hold them on.
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 10-27-2011 at 3:24 PM.

You can buy ODI "lock jaw" rings from Amazon or your local bicycle store. http://www.amazon.com/ODI-Lock-Clamp-Gold-Size/dp/B002K5JAKO/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1319751244&sr=1-2-catcorr

They are made specifically for their grips, but should get you pretty close.

i'm not sure how those rings attach to the wood? maybe there's a lip and you shape the end to twist into it?

is there a finish that would maintain some of the natural gripping qualities of raw wood..i.e. not make it too glossy and slick...that would still provide good protection?

Shopnotes this issue has something similar, you turn a tenon for the ring to wedge onto.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Maldoror View Post
    i'm not sure how those rings attach to the wood? maybe there's a lip and you shape the end to twist into it?

is there a finish that would maintain some of the natural gripping qualities of raw wood..i.e. not make it too glossy and slick...that would still provide good protection?

What kinda wood are ya usin'?
    Maybe just a BLO/varnish finish the would be restorable.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I've made a few screwdriver and beer tap handles and pepper mills, and finished them either with salad bowl finish or wiping poly. Both of those left plenty of gripping surface available.