Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now the Deacon can sit down...

Blog Entries

Now the Deacon can sit down...

Here's a gift I made for the church we attend. We recently completed a new building and needed someplace to sit and put on your boots in the coat room.

It is made from a photo I saw on the web with some modifications. I scaled all the dimensions from a photo to come up with a dimensioned drawing. The original was a Mission style and had flat panels on the front sides and back. I decided that raised panels looked better than the flat panels in the original.

It is made from red oak, all the joints are mortice and tenon. The front, side and back panels all have tenons into the corner posts as does the cross piece on the back and all the slats. The mortices were cut with a drill press morticing tool. It is solid oak except for a small piece of oak plywood that makes up the inner bottom. There is also a raised panel on the back. The small end panels were made from one piece of wood, so the grain patter repeats top to bottom. almost like book match. It is stained with a Min Wax American Walnut stain and finished with Deft Semi-gloss clear wood finish. It took about 20 hours to make the whole thing including finishing. There is about $90 in materials. The seat does lift up for storage. The bench is about 44" long

Thanks for viewing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I find that I have the most fun building a project when I know I am giving it away. The bench looks GREAT!

Thumbs up

You have done a beautiful job on the bench! The grain-matching is a work of art. I love the design.
    Bryan in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Look alive! Here comes a buzzard! -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five. -- Groucho Marx.

Great bench, Lee. I made a speaker's stand for my Bible class, and I love seeing it each week. Lately, I've been wanting to make a lectern/speaker's stand/podium/whatever you want to call it for our sanctuary. I've been going to a men's class, "Quest for Authentic Manhood" and Robert Lewis, on the DVD, uses a really interesting stand for his notes. It got my creative thoughts going, and I sketched several designs I thought would be nice. But I suspect I won't get asked to make one for our church - we have an acrylic lectern, and I don't think our leadership wants to change that. It has the great advantage of being clear, so it doesn't have to be moved out of the way to see a baptism.

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Smith
    I find that I have the most fun building a project when I know I am giving it away. The bench looks GREAT!
    I agree completely- don't know what it is but I get a kick out of giving them away too!

BTW, Lee- nice looking bench! Since it's solid oak I'll bet it's not exactly lightweight!

Can only deacons use it?
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

And, when he sits down, I trust that he will admire what he is sitting upon. I know that I would. Well done!

You should be proud! EXCELLENT job and for a good cause...
    Jerry

A small city West of New Orleans call Westwego, Louisiana
    Now thats what i call a deacons bench,nice work looks great
    Pete-- Deep in Cajun Country
    One Nation-- "Under GOD"

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...vingplane1.gif

nice work and for a great cause

lou

Nice work!

Since March Madness is upon us, would this be an appropriate time to say "Go Deacs!"?
    (Wake Forest University Demon Deacons)
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

Looks great. Very nice proportions as well. I also like how the grain matches so well. I have always felt that seperates the perverbial "men from the boys" when it comes to woodworking.

A very pleasing and symmetrical piece, and for a great cause. Double kudos to you.

Very Nice, great work!
    Herb
    Carrollton, Texas

Whatever you are, be a good one. -Abraham Lincoln

Very nice bench, What type of hinges did you use for the seat/lid?

That turned out really nice, Lee. Good and sturdy...it will last for years and years and be very helpful to people, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Lee, very nice job! I like the balance.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1