Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tree ID help

Tree ID help

My Grandma has this tree in her yard and its got a monster split at the base, where each trunk comes together. So... its going to have to come out. No one seems to know exactly what kind of tree it is.

I can rule out all nut bearing trees, maple, oak, sycamore, box elder, Osage orange

It is about 50-60 years old. Looks a bit like walnut, but with no nuts. Grandma said that in the spring there are seed like things (she described propeller...Maple like) that fall off, but I can't confirm this and it might be the confusion of an 87 year old lady.

Any guesses?? What ever it is... Its All mine (and friends)!

tree1.jpgtree2.jpgtree3.jpg
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Scott, ya got any pictures of leaves?????

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Hmmm. Looks like broccoli to me.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Looks like ash from here!

Scott,
    The leaves look like Hickory to me. Hickory is in the walnut family. Should have 9 leaves on each stem if it is.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

I'd agree with Jaime on the Ash guess. Hard to tell without seeing a close up of the leaves on the tree or the fruit, but that bark looks like Ash to me.

+1 for white ash. Ash does produce samara's (those propeller seed pod thingies), although they are not quite as big as a Maple samara. Ash is nice to turn, but it warps and cracks very easily. Nice gloat by the way!!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

That last picture is of the leaves that fell to the ground. I will go tomorrow and try to get a picture of the leaves still on the tree. I don't think its a nut bearing tree, because I have never seen a nut. There is another one of these trees 40' from this one and it looks just like it. I might believe ash, but the way the limbs grow out of the trunk looks more like a walnut tree than an ash.

When I drop this monster, we'll get a good look at the wood.
    -------
    -------

Maybe box elder (alder) they have the propeller type seeds and the leaves look like ash. I'm guessing your granma knows what she is talking about. Either one makes good turning.
    One of the easiest way to ID ash is the branches http://treedoctor.anr.msu.edu//ash/ashtree_id.html

Scott I am thinking Ash. They are pretty abundant in Kansas. Those leaves looks like the leaves that the logs I got this week off a friends tree. Bark looks the same to. Ash does have the propeller type seeds. Green leaves would help.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 10-27-2011 at 11:07 PM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks like ash to me too. Great to turn green!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

White Ash. I've got a bunch on our property and they do indeed have those "maple like helicopter" thingies on them. The black and green Ash don't seem to have those seed pods.

How about these pics. No "green" leaves left but these were still attached. Also a photo of the main limb crotch on the other (same variety) or tree.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -------
    -------

Yup; its an ash. Not sure exactly what variety, but ash none the less. A great turning wood!

looks like ash to me when are you droping it