Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carvewright owners - a software & software compatibility question

Carvewright owners - a software & software compatibility question

Understanding all the angst I may be in for, I think my main concern for my purchase is the software learning curve.
    With that, I will say I am very 'fluent' with corel and illustrator.

So for my CW owners;

1) how does the CW software compare ? Is it similar to either corel or AI ?
    2) Can corel or AI files be imported ?

Thanks in advance!
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

I wa one of the original 100 beta testers of carvewright owners. And I have to say (and I know folks won't like this) It was a pretty neat little machine. The software is propriatary (?) and reads ptn files. To use a model it is quite easy, plug and play, adjust the size and go. to develop your own, I don't know I never tried. James did a model for me in the ptn version. Now they have stl importer which make s it a different game. I don't know how that works within the system. But you should be able to import the model made in stl format.

Bob

Ok, but is the program similar to Corel or AI ?

Stuff like layers, nodes, bezeir tool, handles and such?
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

LaserPro 50W Explorer

The software I got was plug and play. No allowing to make models so i can't say if it was like any you mention. You just loaded up a file could change the size and that was it. Now ith the stl improter you can make you own models and import and i don't know if you can do that with coral or ai, you can do it with aspire

no it is not like ai or corel, i thought one could download the demo ?

Can you import a Corel file? Or what kinds of file can you import or use. What is a ptl file?

Art
    Last edited by art baylor; 11-01-2011 at 11:02 PM.

A ptn is a file type. It's been a long time but I believe some people where using corel and able to send the file into the carvewright software, I can't remember if it was in jpg or what, (somehow using contours) and doing some 2.5 d work. It would probably be best to go to their forum and ask these type of questions. Just google carvewright forum.

Bob

AS Jim said, why not download it and see for yourself??

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb...igner_draw.php
    Gerry

JointCAM

Any 2D vector such as from AI and Corel can be exported as a DXF file format and imported using DXF Importer for cutting out on CW. STL Importer will import any 3D graphic file like from Aspire. Pattern Editor is very similar to PhotoShop allowing u to make changes to images on a pixel level. The main software used to create projects, Project Designer, can import jpg, bitmap, png, mng, gif and xpm file formats. Also, with Pattern Editor and STL Importer, you can now export to STL, as well.
    Sales & Marketing for LHR Technologies, the makers of CarveWright System

As Connie said above you can use Corel Vectors with the CW after you buy the Add On DXF Software, something I have on my Wish list.

I have 4 "A" series units and I am very happy with what I can do with them. The Latest "C" unit has taken the lessons learned and built improvements into the machine. But with the few fixes for early problems with my "A" units they run great. Almost everything in my Business is touched by the CW. It is a very versatile unit.... I use it to Cut Plastic Tags that I use to make Fire Accountability Tags and Accountability Boards. Previously I did Craft stuff when the market was better.

Things you would want to add is Centerline Text and the DXF. The download is free for 30 days and the same as we use, give it a try.

This is last weeks project tag and board project and some older stuff.... PVC Board Letters and Craft Show last Xmas.

AL I post as digitalwoodshop over on the CW Forum with over 5000 posts since 2007 when I saw the Sears TV Ad....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 11-08-2011 at 8:02 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Have you folks seen that the Carvewright now goes for $999? Not sure if it is a special or a new price point. Either way, it is very tempting...

Special Price and it is the latest "C" hardware..... Yes, Good Deal.... Part of the 5 year PARTY....

It turned my business into a $20K a year from a Stumbling almost Bankrupt........ And Next Year I bet will be bigger...

Granted, I do have a Niche Market....

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

where is it $999 ??
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

LaserPro 50W Explorer

Www.carvewright.com/promo

Exact same as $1599.99 system minus 1/8" cutting bit, but plus $30 decorative box project for free.
    Sales & Marketing for LHR Technologies, the makers of CarveWright System

I think I'm going to pass on this machine

for those who are looking - and I'm not associated in any way - there's a guy in DFW Craigslist who has a sweet deal for $950

lots of extras
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

LaserPro 50W Explorer