Thread: Man! Did I get a wake-up call

Man! Did I get a wake-up call

I'm in the market for small box hinges. Being out of work right now, price is a HUGE consideration. I'd like to get Brusso hinges for a small treasure box I'm making for my Dad's 80th birthday, but they are out of sight at $22.00 a set on Amazon.

Where do you buy your hardware?

TIA for your help, Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Hi Ken
    sorry to hear you're out of work. I spent 2 years hunting for a job. As for hinges, if you want good quality, brusso is about the only game in town. You might try Lee Valley who has a large selection. Horton brasses is another choice and lastly, you might try restoration hardware. These are the ones I usually buy from. But compared to Brusso, you may be disappointed with the other choices out there.
    ralph

Blog Entries
    The statement "I'd like to get Brusso hinges" is one that I frequently utter in my mind. They are high quality and are the way to go for the top end pieces that you do. For item that will tolerate a more mere-mortal range of hardware, I use Lee Valley, Van Dyke's and other random acquisitions that I pick up at a good price along the way. I am always watching for stupid-low prices on supply items that turn up for one reason or another. . . sorry, rambling on does not help your immediate problem. These have worked well for me an are 90* stop hinges which I think work well for smaller boxes. Vertex hinges are another top quality product but, appropriately priced.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    These aren't Brusso, but they make a nice hinge for small boxes.39578-01-200.jpg. They are called Brass Cylinder hinges. I've used them on a number of small boxes.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

5. Its for your dad, splurge, he's worth it isn't he. Take it from someone that no longer can make something for dad.
    Darrin

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Vanden Bosch View Post
    Its for your dad, splurge, he's worth it isn't he. Take it from someone that no longer can make something for dad.
    Darrin
    I was thinking the same thing as I read this thread. I wish I could go back in time and splurge on my dad.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I can concur with Lee that the brass cylinder hinges, or the very similar hidden barrel hinge (Rockler), work very well on small boxes, at about $12/pr. IMO, your dad will be impressed that you spent the time to make him a gift. The type of hinge you use won't detract from the joy.

John

I truely am luck to have Dad around. I agree there is nothing that I don't owe that man. The 'Ol Boy is worth it.

I should have mentioned that I had ordered the Brusso Hinges just before I posted my rant. I was just venting about the cost of the darn things.

I'll have a look at those barrel hinges for the next project
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

The Brusso are certainly the way to go for special pieces... The last sets that I bought I got from Tools for Working Wood and the pricing was the best I could find, along with their usual superlative service. If you follow my signature link to my website/blog, you can see them on the set of four "family boxes" that I made...these were, like yours, a truly special project. I also used the Brusso brass feet on these boxes and loved them as well.
    For your dad's 80th birthday....well, that is truly a special event!
    Roger

Try looking in Ace Hardware, they have some pretty decent brass hinges, particularly the 1-1/2" narrow hinge which is a heavy gauge brass.

I buy all my hinges for my boxes and I make a lot of them from Craft.inc google them.

Yeah the Brusso hardware is frickin expensive. Take a look at their necklace hanging pegs - imagine trying to use those in a jewelry chest!

Another option is to not use any hinges at all. I like to give small boxes away and I don't want to put much money in them on hardware so I make them where the lid lifts off. The top and bottom are both rabbeted so they fit sung on each other. Several recent articles in magazines recently on how to make these cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I was thinking the same thing as I read this thread. I wish I could go back in time and splurge on my dad.

+1

What I would give...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    +1

What I would give...
    I am not trying to be mean but one of my favorite songs are " give me the roses while I am alive not after I am dead