Thread: When will I learn?

When will I learn?

I was having trouble with the feed on my Jointer/Planer in planer mode. Messed with the pressure on the infeed roller, messed with the pressure on the outfeed roller. Finally spread a liberal coat of Johnson's on the tables and low and behold smooth as silk. Someone smack me.

When? eventually, like we all do

Would you believe it works just as well on my manually fed 8" jointer too. PDAMHIKT. LOL!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I never would've thought to use baby powder on your planer. Great idea! JK

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I was having trouble with the feed on my Jointer/Planer in planer mode. Messed with the pressure on the infeed roller, messed with the pressure on the outfeed roller. Finally spread a liberal coat of Johnson's on the tables and low and behold smooth as silk. Someone smack me.
    Uh...oh, if you're like me, by the time you finally "Learn" most of the things you need to know, you're getting to the age that you start "forgetting" the stuff it took you so long to learn.
    My memory is now getting so bad I can truly say I have "Forgotten" more than many folks will ever go to the trouble to learn.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

There are a lot of days when I think that can of Johnson's paste wax is the best tool in my shop. Misplaced it after the move and bought another in an effort to make the old one magically reappear (it worked). So I have a main can and a spare and won't live long enough to see the bottom of either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I feel your pain Matt, I had the same issue last year with my Hammer, I adjusted everything on the machine. Got tech support on the phone and Mark insisted I clean and wax my planer bed. Well low and behold a fresh coat of paste wax and it worked like new. I felt like a horses behind for wasting his time...I wont forget that lesson.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

We are in the habit of using the Topcoat product on our planer beds. What a difference a little spray makes. Greg

Jeff, it's amazing how well a little wax works.........LOL.

Although in the videos Sepp uses "Super Gleit" in a spray bottle, I always use wax. Sometimes even before the wood stops feeding!............Rod.

That thought crossed my mind Greg. Or just keeping the can of Johnson's by the J/P to remind me. Last night as soon as I flipped the beds back down I went ahead and did the top too since I had it out.

Blog Entries
    I made a jig for my router to cut mortises and struggled with it for awhile and then waxed the guides (wood) and it was breeze to use. Shoulda known.

Had a dog I couldn't get into the carrier for the ride to the Vets. Spead some Johnson's on his butt and he slid right in there. Wont stop growling at me though. +1 Great stuff
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.