Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tracksaw - can't decide between Makita and Festool

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Thanks for all of the info - lots of great advice in the thread.

Even the Dewalt is starting to get tempting at $300 recon....the less this costs the happier my purchasing manager will be.
    Check on the dewalt. I think I heard something about them being discontinued although that might just have been the cordless version.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    I was going to ask if the reverse were true, will the Festool work on the makita rails, but I looked at Amazon for prices. Not really enough of a difference to matter...
    The festool TS 55 and 75 will work on the makita track. There are some festool accessories that will not work with that extra lip on the makita track. Things like the parallel guide, router mounts, etc. But the saw itself will work fine. I have two 55 tracks that I join together but if I get a great price on the long makita track, I'll pick one of those up.

Amen, reverend.

How many sales are driven by promise, rather than performance? I'm not a fair judge of high output usage, but for the casual user (people like Victor and myself) there's no justification for adding expense.
    Better to spend money on lumber than tools, in my opinion. It's just a tool, after all.

Dewalt works really well ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Visser View Post
    just curious why you've ruled out the Dewalt?

Greg
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

If I'm shelling out several hundreds of dollars for what basically amounts to a fancy circ saw, it better do those cuts GORGEOUSLY
    Nicest thing about getting a Festool from a local dealer...
    Take it home, set it up and make your cut.
    When you notice some slight splintering - go back and read the instructions - then set the chip guard to the correct position

If you're a doofas like me - your second cut will be perfect.

Go ahead and cut some more. You have 30 days to judge the quality.

If it doesn't live up to your expectations in any way, take it back for a no questions asked refund.
    I only say local here because there's no shipping involved.
    Festool and Makita both offer the 30 day money back - but - I don't believe either will cover shipping charges.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 11-03-2011 at 6:26 AM.

That sure looks cool. Wonder how good the cut quality is. The video sure makes the dust collection look top notch. I saw one web site list that product as discontinued and the Mafell site listed them as out of stock. I didn't see a longer guide, wonder if there is some way to couple two of them together?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    If I were doing it again I would buy a Mafell. They have some really good ideas and the roll up track is simply brilliant. Traveling with long aluminum rails is not ideal. Check out the you tube video.

http://www.mafell.com/produkte/prod_saegen_ksp40_i.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lKYXnVSnKg

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Michael View Post
    No one could compare that system with either the festool or Makita track saw's with a straight face. The track saws are dedicated high quality cabinet building tools, the EZ is a fancy shoot board. Regular circular saws are great for framing but you can't even come close to matching the festool's cutting quality with one.

Also, when you get into buying a circular saw then the whole EZ set up, the price is near the festool's but you still don't have even close to the quality nor ease of use.
    My experience with the EZ system has shown that this statement isn't correct. Great quality cuts and very easy to use. Plus, it has lots of accessories that have be borrowed/copied by other manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    That sure looks cool. Wonder how good the cut quality is. The video sure makes the dust collection look top notch. I saw one web site list that product as discontinued and the Mafell site listed them as out of stock. I didn't see a longer guide, wonder if there is some way to couple two of them together?

The KSP 40 has been replaced by the KSP 55 F. Flexible steel guide rails available in lengths up to 3100mm (122"). Cut quality is excellent.

http://www.mafelltoolstore.com/ksp55fpocisa4.html

BTW-
    As prices stand right now:
    Festool TS55 $525
    Dewalt $435
    Makita $400
    I don't know if things like this irritate you as much as they do me.
    The Festool sells for full list price, excelt for when they are bundled or during a rare Festool 10% off sale.
    The prices on the other two are heavily discounted off the suggested retail price.
    I hate it when something carries an artificial inflated list price, then shows a deep discount as the selling price.

That always makes me wonder about the company itself and what other games they play.

I mean really, the DeWalt is a nice saw and all & so is the Makita, but apples to apples/retail to reatail,,is it ~ $200.00 better? Is the Makita worth an extra ~ $100.00?

Buy once, cry once.

For my $$$, I'd get the Festool, and never look back.

My $0.02. YMMV

I have the makita and love it. I've been surprised by how often I use the little latch that holds the saw on the track (Makita exclusive). I don't know what value a riving knife has in sheet goods, but I'm sure there are occasions when it would come in handy.

My choice came down to price. I got the makita for well under $400 shipped with a rail. I put as much thought as anyone into the decision to purchase and wouldn't change a thing. I have never used the festool and agree that they make a fantastic tool, but other companies make fantastic tools too. In this case Makita knocked one out of the park.

Ryan

I have the Festool and the DeWalt. I prefer the Dewalt.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    The resale thing is potentially important to me.........$125 can buy a nice full sheet of veneered ply!
    I have been known to poke fun at the green-kool-aid gang. No apologies for that. Full disclosure: I have had no need in the past, nor in the forseeable future, for a track saw. I had a friend get a PC SawBoss and taught him how to fab guides out of 1/4" ply and aluminum bar stock - works fine for his purpose.

But - IMO - your math is incorrect. It's not what the buck-twenty-five will buy, it's how much are you spending on the entire project? Materials & equipment combined. The tool spend differential is likely a modest %. Plus, the resale value is a legitimate point.

Having said all of that, were I in the your position, I'd get the Festool without hesitation. And - don't forget - you get a negative amount of dust generated [Festool gear collects 100% of its own dust, plus cleans the shop air at the same time].

Oooooopss.........I did it again.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Jerome, from what i have been told Mafell is considered to be a higher end brand in Germany. I have no reason to doubt the fellow that told me about them since I know how meticulous he is with everything (Martin owner). I like how they have designed the lift mechanism on that saw. They have kept the saw much closer in size to a regular skil saw. I have tried free handing with my Festool, and most of the time I end up grabbing the old Dewalt for those cuts. I know, why would you ever want to do that? If on site, and you need to knock down some parts I think it is silly to need two saws. They also have a nifty miter setup that you could almost eliminate the need for a Miter station if it were not for small trim cuts.

Brad

On topic: Ase best I can tell what you have requested is a tool to break down sheets before you work them on the table saw. Sounds like you would do very well with any of the tracksaws. If resale is a consideration get the Festool no doubt.

On topic note: I read the PDF comparison article and looked at the spec sheet and thought why would anyone NOT buy the Makita? Then the author said Festool all the way because they have all the glitches worked out? What glitches?

Now for some opinions:
    Tracksaws off the shelf as-is are not dedicated cabinet making tools. They are straight-line cutting tools on 1-faced lumber/sheet goods of significant width. How do you do a 1" rip on a tracksaw for rails and stiles? What can you do if you need to rip a badly cupped board down the middle? What if the lumber is not faced? How do you do repeated crosscuts, repeated rips to make squares and rectangles of the exact same dimension without a square and fence ?

I own and like many tools from Festool. I have recommended them to friends on occasion. I would put my home-made EZ bench and rails up against anyone's Festool setup for capacity, speed, precision, and repeatability. I do not own a $85 blade, but my $20 blade holds its own for cut quality and anti-chip on both sides of the blade.

I make furniture and cabinets for fun. There is very little I cannot do well with my EZ setup.
    Fact: I do not own a table saw.

-Brian