Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tracksaw - can't decide between Makita and Festool

I have the Makita and love it. It even comes in a systainer. I even use it with a Festool rail (in conjunction with a MFT 1080). Got it for $325 or $350 with rail via Amazon (and free 2day shipping thanks to the Prime membership I have with them) about 2 years ago. It's an excellent saw.

Oh, and the Makita to my surprise was made in England.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Michael View Post
    No one could compare that system with either the festool or Makita track saw's with a straight face. The track saws are dedicated high quality cabinet building tools, the EZ is a fancy shoot board. Regular circular saws are great for framing but you can't even come close to matching the festool's cutting quality with one.

Also, when you get into buying a circular saw then the whole EZ set up, the price is near the festool's but you still don't have even close to the quality nor ease of use.
    I'll probably be burned at the stake for this but I'll give my opinion anyways.
    I tend to disagree and admit that I'm a reformed Festool adict. After owning at least one of every Festool available to the US market I can say that going back to non Festool has been very easy except for the Domino. Any saw with a stiff base with a scrap of hardboard carpet taped to the bottom will cut as clean as the TS55 or TS 75. The zero clearance rail and green thing is what makes them cut clean. A cheap 48" edge clamp with a decent worm drive skil saw will perform the same 48" cuts just as cleanly. After my shop burned I really questioned whether or not I should replace my TS75 since for years prior to owning Festool I used a little PC worm drive trim saw and did just fine. After doing my first cabinet job in my new shop just this week and using just the guide and Rigid worm drive saw, I decided that the TS75 was not the value I thought it once was. The worm drive by default has torque steer and easily keeps itself tight against a guide. Worm drives also tends to have quite abit more power and IMO do better than the little TS55. That being said Im one of those that still rip full sheets on the table saw and only crosscut full sheets on rare occasion that it makes for a cost savings in materials. IMO if a guy only needs to crosscut full 4' sheets then any decent worm drive and edge clamp is really all that is needed.

Don

I was going to ask if the reverse were true, will the Festool work on the makita rails, but I looked at Amazon for prices. Not really enough of a difference to matter...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Denovich View Post
    I have the Makita and love it. It even comes in a systainer. I even use it with a Festool rail (in conjunction with a MFT 1080). Got it for $325 or $350 with rail via Amazon (and free 2day shipping thanks to the Prime membership I have with them) about 2 years ago. It's an excellent saw.

2 things about Festool. I've got a 2005 model ATF 55 and I see them on eBay selling for the same price I paid.
    And, after nearly 7 years.

When the ATF 55 was redesigned and became the TS 55, it now comes with three bearings on the arbor shaft. And the power was increased.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don G Wacker View Post
    IMO if a guy only needs to crosscut full 4' sheets then any decent worm drive and edge clamp is really all that is needed.
    Don
    IMO, a big advantage for tracksaws is that you place the track right on the cut line. Sure, you can make accurate cuts with some angle iron and a measuring aid (either the saw itself or a piece of scrap cut to length) but I find the track to be much faster for setting up each cut. Yes, a skill saw + homebuilt ZCI works very well too unless you care about dust collection.

Thanks for all of the info - lots of great advice in the thread.

Even the Dewalt is starting to get tempting at $300 recon....the less this costs the happier my purchasing manager will be.

Victor, I tried to send you a PM. Your inbox is full. There's a used Festool ATF55 on CL, if that interests you..

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wayne View Post
    Victor, I tried to send you a PM. Your inbox is full. There's a used Festool ATF55 on CL, if that interests you..
    Thanks Steven, I just cleaned out my inbox...had no idea it was so full! Looks like a decent deal (shipping might kill it though), but if anything it does confirm the resale value on these things is pretty high!

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Thanks Steven, I just cleaned out my inbox...had no idea it was so full! Looks like a decent deal (shipping might kill it though), but if anything it does confirm the resale value on these things is pretty high!
    That's pretty close to what I paid for mine off the local CL.Think it was $325 and had a couple of blades. I felt like I got a great deal...

So if I just end up getting the Festool, I can refer my wife to you folks, right?

I consider the Festool to be a very slight upgrade to the Makita, which was a big upgrade to my ancient Festool Track Saw, which was an upgrade to my PC Trim Saw and straight edge.

The Makita is a great product. The advantage of the TS55 is the anti splinter on both sides of the cut and a removable cord that matches my Festool sander so I can leave the power cord tied to the hose for my Fein Vac. The Makita cord is way too short and permanently connected so factor in buying a long cord and and taking the tool apart to connect inside. If you don't, the plug on the extension cord will end up in exactly the wrong place. Don't ask how I know..........

Makita still lives in a production shop with the vac hose and power cord overhead on a retractor. Still going strong after 6 years. I never noticed that the Makita has more power but I have only used them for sheetgoods, Starboard and plastics.

It is rare that you would find two tools from different companies that are this similar. You will probably be happy with either.

Also, with Festool tracks you can probably skip the clamps completely. You can use it without clamps on melamine as long as it is laying flat. I don't know about the Makita track. I do know the Dewalt tracks don't grip as well.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 11-02-2011 at 5:12 PM.

I didn't think I'd say it, but I'm actually leaning towards the Festool now.

Biggest reason? Splinter-guard on both sides of the cut - I didn't realize that was a difference but it's actually a fairly big deal to me. If I'm shelling out several hundreds of dollars for what basically amounts to a fancy circ saw, it better do those cuts GORGEOUSLY.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    it better do those cuts GORGEOUSLY.
    I will say that my Festool TS55 cuts are gorgeous and it's a dream to use compared to anything I have owned up to this point. (I have not used the dewalt or makita track saws). I am very happy with the Festools I own (2 routers, 2 sanders, domino, MFT and dust extractor).

If I were doing it again I would buy a Mafell. They have some really good ideas and the roll up track is simply brilliant. Traveling with long aluminum rails is not ideal. Check out the you tube video.

http://www.mafell.com/produkte/prod_saegen_ksp40_i.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lKYXnVSnKg