Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tracksaw - can't decide between Makita and Festool

Find a dealer that sells what you are interested in and handle them both. One may feel better to you than the other. Also consider dust collection.

About 7-8 years ago, I bought the Fe$tool as an upgrade from the ol' PC Trim saw with a dedicated carbide plywood blade and a shop-built wood guide rail system. Since I am prone to sinus problems, dust collection was important and there really were not any other track saw then available.

To its credit, the Fe$tool system works well for me. Like many others, it is primarily utilized to break down sheet goods and it does so with a finish cut. No more rough cuts, then onto the Uni-saw to clean things up. And combined with the CT-33 vacuum, no dust in the air or scattered about the shop.

At the time, I purchased the small Fe$tool track saw the #55 -- not sure of the model number -- and two track extensions as well as the CT-33 vacuum. I also purchased the track connector, two track clamps, and the plastic “Gizmo” that allows the electrical cord to slide smoothly over the end of the track and not hang up. All were a worthwhile purchase for my use.

Since I have not handled the other track saws now available, I can not speculate if I still would buy the Fe$tool track saw or one of its competitors. Again, such a purchase would depend upon how well the saw feels in my hand and dust collection efficiency.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 11-03-2011 at 2:58 PM.

Another happy Festool owner here. The dust collection is a huge advantage for me too. I've used mine indoors with only minimal cleanup required after use. I've tried guide rails for the construction site saws and even the one I had which supposedly had good dust collection still made a mess--it collected a lot of chips, but not much of the fine dust. The difference--no designed-for-construction-site saw I've seen covers the blade area the way the designed-for-woodworking track saws do.

When I built a kitchen 2 years ago, I did all my crosscuts from full sheets and some rips with the Festool saw. That let me get a square corner on the sheet using one factory edge and get the sheets into a fairly easy to handle size. I had 3 cabinets that had 45's on them and I used the Festool saw for all of those. And I used it "on site" for building some shelving for a new closet that went in as part of the kitchen project.

Just to clarify, the dust collection on all of the three tracksaws is equivalent, is it not? I haven't seen anything to the contrary, just wanted to make sure. The DC is one of the major reasons I'd like a tracksaw instead of trying to use or fabricate a cheaper guide system for a circ saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kincaid View Post
    On topic: Ase best I can tell what you have requested is a tool to break down sheets before you work them on the table saw. Sounds like you would do very well with any of the tracksaws. If resale is a consideration get the Festool no doubt.

On topic note: I read the PDF comparison article and looked at the spec sheet and thought why would anyone NOT buy the Makita? Then the author said Festool all the way because they have all the glitches worked out? What glitches?
    That is the exact question I have (why wouldn't you get the Makita??), and as best as I can try to suss out, part of it seems to be just the brand. Of course, the brand comes with certain perks such as "fit and finish," reliable customer service, and more accessories ($$!). There's a very compelling reason if you own other parts of the Festool ecosystem or plan to, but if not, it really comes down to buying into the brand. Are all those little perks worth $125? It's actually a tough decision. If the Festool were still at its previous year price of $475, it'd be a no-brainer...which I suppose justifies their price increase!

My first Festool was the TS55. After I used it a while, I checked out their routers. My main interest was dust collection on the router. The OF1400 has excellent dust collection and I am very happy with the purchase. My point being, I wouldn't discount the Festool stuff until you've tried it out.

I looked at the Makita and Dewalt track saws and bought the Festool stuff because the brands reputation is far better than either Dewalt or Makita, especially when I take in to account how many times I have had my Dewalt and Makita tools in for repair.

6. Another thing to consider: you may think you can, but you will not be able to resist buying more Festool bling after you take that first bump. You'll spend a few days wondering what got into you and hoping that nobody ever finds out you paid $700 for a circular saw and some guide rails. Then you'll use it. Then you'll start to wonder what it would be like to have a Domino machine. It can't hurt, right? After that, you'll become unsatisfied using your Shop Vac to collect dust. Months later, your wife will notice a huge dent in your bank account, and you'll have to make up a story about a distressed nephew or something. You'll come home one day to find a room full of friends and relatives who aren't there to judge you (although at least one of them won't be able to resist holding your Domino machine in front of your face and asking you why, oh why, did you spend $850 on an angle grinder?), just there to see that you get help.

If you buy the Makita, I can almost guarantee you won't own an entire shop full of Makita tools and assorted $75 plastic accoutrements a year from now.

They tried to make me sell my Festool, I said no, no, no...

Quote Originally Posted by Albert T. Tappman View Post
    Another thing to consider: you may think you can, but you will not be able to resist buying more Festool bling after you take that first bump. You'll spend a few days wondering what got into you and hoping that nobody ever finds out you paid $700 for a circular saw and some guide rails. Then you'll use it. Then you'll start to wonder what it would be like to have a Domino machine. It can't hurt, right? After that, you'll become unsatisfied using your Shop Vac to collect dust. Months later, your wife will notice a huge dent in your bank account, and you'll have to make up a story about a distressed nephew or something. You'll come home one day to find a room full of friends and relatives who aren't there to judge you (although at least one of them won't be able to resist holding your Domino machine in front of your face and asking you why, oh why, did you spend $850 on an angle grinder?), just there to see that you get help.

If you buy the Makita, I can almost guarantee you won't own an entire shop full of Makita tools and assorted $75 plastic accoutrements a year from now.

They tried to make me sell my Festool, I said no, no, no...
    LMAO! I have no doubt that the TS could be a gateway tool. I'd like to think I'm somewhat Festool-proof, in that I already have a Fein vac. Now the Domino....I could sell my HCM and I'd be 1/4 of the way there....HMMMMMM!

The Domino is amazing. I have bought most of my Festools used. Got a couple of good deals too. Watch craigslist..

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Just to clarify, the dust collection on all of the three tracksaws is equivalent, is it not? I haven't seen anything to the contrary, just wanted to make sure. The DC is one of the major reasons I'd like a tracksaw instead of trying to use or fabricate a cheaper guide system for a circ saw.
    The dust collection on the Makita and Festool saw are identical. The Dewalt looks like it would be the same. The Makita and Festool TS55 are very, very, very similar tools.

I'm totally shocked at the prices of the tracksaw kits. With my seven-year-old PC 324MAG saw and the Eurekazone track gear, I can handle all the sheet breakdown I need to do, with accuracy and precision.

For the money needed to get a Festool setup with vac and repeaters, one could go on eBay and score a pretty nice used Unisaw and have enough left over for a nice used jointer.

Even the EZ-Smart gear has skyrocketed in price. I see a barely-used kit (tracks 36,50,64, clamps, repeaters, saw base, accessories) on eBay right now for $299. My setup, saw included, came in for less than that.

Just an update - I ended up deciding on the Festool (main reason: resale) and will join the green crew. I assume the dent in my wallet is the initiation badge. Thank you all for your feedback!

Just an update - I ended up deciding on the Festool (main reason: resale) and will join the green crew. I assume the dent in my wallet is the initiation badge. Thank you all for your feedback!
    Well now you need a Festool vacuum because it interfaces to the saw so well, and their jig saw is a really nice unit and will work with the same track as the plunge saw, and their sanders have such good dust collection and you already have the vacuum, and that domino sure looks like a great little joint maker, and the MFT sure makes your cutting table look like crap, and....you need a good divorce attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Well now you need a Festool vacuum because it interfaces to the saw so well, and their jig saw is a really nice unit and will work with the same track as the plunge saw, and their sanders have such good dust collection and you already have the vacuum, and that domino sure looks like a great little joint maker, and the MFT sure makes your cutting table look like crap, and....you need a good divorce attorney.
    Let me guess...you've got green horns and a green cape, stand about 3 inches tall, and hang out on my shoulder, right?

Let me guess...you've got green horns and a green cape, stand about 3 inches tall, and hang out on my shoulder, right?
    No but the same little guy hangs out with me. Pokes me with that little green pitchfork every time I fall into some extra cash.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    The dust collection on the Makita and Festool saw are identical. The Dewalt looks like it would be the same. The Makita and Festool TS55 are very, very, very similar tools.
    I mentioned this a few pages back but I have not seen a splinter guard for the Dewalt -or- the Makita. I'm not talking about the strip on the rail, I'm talking about the green plastic thing that guards the outside edge from splintering. Can anyone confirm or deny the existence of this accessory for the Makita or Dewalt? You can always get around this by using painters tape on the cut line but we're talking about a tool to save you time (versus a skilsaw).

For the cost difference it may possible to retrofit or create a similar option.