Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Slab Coffee Table

Looks sharp Prashun. You act like I do. I think I would obsess over the minutia in the differences on the blending with the oak banding. Doing detail work like that by hand always makes me nervous (probably the engineering background in me that wants everything to be perfectly symmetrical. I just have to learn to appreciate that hand-work is not always perfect, but that is an attribute to the piece, not a shortfall.

Any thoughts on what type of finish yet?
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Very cool, I can't wait to see the final product.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Alex - finish will be Waterlox. As far as hand shaped goes, my philosophy is that if you think you can do better, then do better - even if nobody but you will see it. It's been my (humble) experience that there's always ONE person who appreciates the attentions to detail; I'm building for HIM.

I actually won a contest by Horizon to make this. Here's the link (not an advertisement for Horizon) - the article's about 1/2 way down the page. Not trying to brag, but I don't win things often, so what the heck...

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....NOzWj1nWGBI%3D
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 11-09-2011 at 10:04 AM.

Prashun,
    I actually got their email newsletter last week that mentioned you in it. You are now officially famous on the internet (for whatever that is worth).

Thats a cool article on the Horizon site, I think you are well deserving to build them this table. Your progress so far shows why they chose you. Congrats and keep us posted on the progress.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Prashun,
    A question about the competition submission. Did you have to submit a plan for the table, or did you just have to submit pictures of work you have done in the style. I would think submitting a specific plan would be difficult without knowing what the actual slab looked like.

They didn't specify. The table didn't have to be a slab; it was any design the entrant wanted. My entry required a slab. Pete worked with me to select the one that we both liked. It's been a fun process.

Starting on the top

I started the planing process for the top. It's pretty flat already, but I'm using a router to flatten and 'extrude' the top. There will be a 1/4" lip on the ends. I'm using a dish cutting and plunge bit to do this.

I'm trying to remove as little material as possible bkz I'm concerned the top will move.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Had a mishap 2 days ago: I dropped the base when moving it onto the bench and I snapped a leg in half. I thought about epoxying along the split, but thought the right thing is to try to make a new leg. I was able to clean the joint out fairly well.

The curious thing is that the spax screw snapped too. I thought they were supposed to be STRONG.

Looking great! Those are some nice slabs

Excellent work Prashun, I am watching your progress with much interest.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Wow, that's a nice table. Great work on the base! Good that you had extra wood for a spare leg. I'd love to have that table in my living room

I'm about ready to start sanding and finishing. I'm thinking to straighten the one 'fair curved' side. Something about the shape of the top is 'off' to me. What do you think?

It is hard to visualize what you want to straighten without really seeing it from the top and a line of how you want to straighten it.

I would be tempted to leave it as-is. Straighening with the sapwood on the end runs the risk of unbalancing the sapline symmetry of the board in my opinion. Once you put a finish on and the sapwood and heartwood start to darken/lighten and contrast more with each other, a thin/removed sapline on one side would stand out even more.

This is what I'm thinking, Alex...