Thread: QSWO twin Beds

QSWO twin Beds

I've been working on these beds for a couple of months now and they're finally finished. I built two identical sets even though I'm only posting pics of one. They're constructed of quartersawn white oak with walnut accents. All joints are mortise and tenon with dowels through the joints. The rails are attached to the posts with bed bolts from Rockler. (Extremely strong and stiff connection but I wish the nuts were narrower so I didn't have to rout all the way through the rails.) Finish is Watco danish oil in fruitwood, two coats of platina shellac and some paste wax for good measure. The color is not as even as I'd hoped (the pictures make it look much worse than it actually is) so next time I'll probably try some dye or fuming.

This is the first piece of furniture I've made in about 15 years. I've been moving around with work for a decade now and I've just recently gotten settled it and back to woodworking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ben searight; 11-03-2011 at 9:53 PM. Reason: My grammar and spelling suck

Blog Entries
    That's really nice work. Your own design?

Some of it is. I stole bits and pieces from other projects I found on the web, and added a few of my own details. Had it all drawn on AutoCad, but after I started I think I changed every single dimension with the exception of overall length and width. I added a radius to the legs and the decorative bed bolt cavers after the fact as well. I also had to change some stuff due to my own impatience and stupidity.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Ben, your attention to detail really stands out! The beds will be around for generations to come.
    Do you plan on making any companion furniture to go with them?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice looking and interesting design elements too.

Gotta love white oak - but bet those beds are heavy.
    Stan

Bruce, I had thought about making some dressers to match, but to be honest with you I'm at a loss as far as the design is concerned. I just cant figure out how to incorporate those features into a chest. I guess nightstands wouldn't be too hard though. I just don't have a whole lot of artistic ability.

Stan, they are indeed heavy, probably 75# a piece. They are extremely solid though, you'll never have to worry about these ones creaking.

Ben, that looks GREAT! I really like your design and craftsmanship.

Thanks! I love the look of QSWO, it's my favorite species. I imagine you're pretty fond of it as well. I might be contacting you about some 5/4, I'm having difficulty finding it locally.

Quote Originally Posted by ben searight View Post
    Thanks! I love the look of QSWO, it's my favorite species. I imagine you're pretty fond of it as well. I might be contacting you about some 5/4, I'm having difficulty finding it locally.
    Yeah, you might say that. I had to laugh at myself earlier... I started a BBQ fire in my cooker, and noticed that even my firewood was QSWO!

There is a neat trick that you might try sometime for doing glue-ups on legs where the grain will wrap all of the way around the leg. I've seen them done with both 4 piece and 5 piece assemblies. It helps to mitigate any problems regarding color differences, plus the grain wrap really looks cool.

If you call or e-mail re the 5/4, be sure to mention that you're an SMC member, as that way you're eligible for a 10% discount.

I might try that with the legs next time. I actually ordered the legs as turning blanks with the expectation that they would be solid 12/4 material. I was a little disappointed when they arrived laminated.

Nice job Ben! I like the design and the execution. Looks like you were learning other things over the last 15 years, but your woodworking didn't miss a beat!

Congratulations.

Patrick

I used a layering of Lockwood dyes on a red oak bed and am thrilled with the colors.
    DSC_3163.JPG
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop