Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: By way of introduction.....

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm a bit of a crank about a clean shop and usually spend about 10-15 min/day keeping it clean. I've got a terrific dust collection system on every machine and vacumn hose drops at 5 locations for simply vacumning up the mess.
    Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT. Visitors Welcome!

Alan,

Nice to have you post your work and share your shop with us! Love the Craftsman style but another nice thing about this place all the different styles and influences that come into play with mulling designs.

I'm an aspiring pilot and would love to hear more about what type of flying you do/ratings you have.

Again, welcome and we look forward to seeing more of you and your work!
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Kaboom! That is one great first post...and some sweet work.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I really like that popup router table. I have been looking for neat Ideas before I cut the hole in my side table.
    welcome
    Chuck

Alan,

Good to have yet another great woodworker come aboard.

That is a classey shop and first class work you have turned out. I love seeing you pros trickle in.... it makes the knowledge base even stonger when us newbies really get stuck and need help.
    I think you will find this to be one of the best group of people around. They have all been so kind and so very helpful to me when I needed them. I am trying to learn so I can some day help others in the same manner.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Alan,

As other have said, welcome aboard! Very nice job on the furniture also.

Bob
    bob m

Alan,

Wow, you're first post and I'm in instant fan of your work Very nice job! I personally am very fond of the arts and crafts style of furniture. And you really do it justice.

You'll find this a very friendly and extremely knowledgeable place. I haven't been a member for an extremely long time but I truly enjoy the company here at the Creek.

Welcome!
    "When you earnestly believe that you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts,
    there is no end to what you can't do."

Dittos to all the welcomes posted above. I am a newbie here to learn and you seem to be a great addation to the faculty here.
    I am intrigued by the PVC manifold under your outfeed table. Care to share info on it and the rest of your DC system?

There is a 6" pipe buried in the floor. Two manifolds, one on each side of the saw feed 4" gates and hoses that feed into the 6" pipe. One side has the table saw gate, an empty gate, and a vacumn hose hookup. The other side collects the jointer, router table fence, router table base and a vacumn hose hookup.

I also have a 220 and 110 line run under the floor to the center. I used to hate climbing all over hoses and tripping on cords. Here's a couple of pictures.

The last photo is of my old saw and outfeed table. The new table is a torsion box, so it stays flat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT. Visitors Welcome!

Wow your shop is VERY impressive!!! So what type of dust collector do you have to power all of that suction? Inquiring minds want to know.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Alan Nice work AND nice shop! Wecome!
    Jerry

OOPs, I meant to talk about the dust collector, too. It's a 3 hp Grizzly, with Penn State bags (the heavy felted ones). I got the dust collector for $150 from a cabinet shop that had outgrown it, and spent another $100 or so on bags. The only problem I've had in 3 years, is wearing out the first PSI Long Ranger Remote. I'm currently using one of the new Woodcraft remote switches on the DC. We'll see how long it lasts.

There is also 6" pipe going around the walls on three sides of the shop, with 4" drops to each machine. There is a 4" line running along the center ridge. It goes to a 4" drop over my work bench and I use it when hand sanding or running the biscuit joiner.

I was originally planning on a 2 hp collector, when I found the 3 hp. I love the suction! Cats, dogs and small children walk in my shop with fear and trepidation! (Jokes, I have a 3 year old grandson that loves the shop.)
    Last edited by Alan Mikkelsen; 03-05-2005 at 9:39 AM. Reason: add information, spelling

Alan I like the pictures of your shop. But I do have a question about the motor I see sticking out from behind that cabinet saw. It is a cabinet type saw isn't it? If so is it a hybrid or have you modifyed it so the motor is hanging on a different type bracket? Just wondering.

Jim, the picture you are looking at is my old saw. For years, my saw was a 1953 Craftsman. I hung a 2 hp, 220v motor on it, a Mulecab Accusquare fence, etc. I recently purchased a Grizzly 1023 (used) with a Biesemeyer fence and that's what you see in the first pictures. My son is getting my old saw, we hope to deliver it to him at Easter. I've given him some carpentry tools and a set of chisels. He built a bed for he and his new bride a year ago using a circular saw and hand chisels, and it looked pretty good! He did express a desire for a table saw, though. He gets the old Craftsman, with a sliding sled, tenon jig that rides on the fence, a spline jig, and several other accessories.