Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: By way of introduction.....

By way of introduction.....

I've lurked here for a couple months, and finally got registered. One of the things I love about this site is the use of real names. Anyway, I'm a semi-retired consultant, doing some highly specialized public policy work. Formerly a congressional chief of staff, before that most of my life in farming and ranching, and flying (as a natural resource pilot). My father was/is a tremendous craftsman and my wife was always after me to build things like him. I resisted for a long time, probably not wanting to hold myself to his standards. I finally gave into the urges though, and begin woodworking about 10 years ago. I make mostly furniture, craftsman inspired but with a lot of my own designs, from cherry, walnut, qs white oak and maple. I've also built/remodeled three houses for our children in the past two years, since this semi retirement begin. I'll try posting a few shop and project pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT. Visitors Welcome!

Alan, glad you decided to join in!! Good looking furniture, AND shop. Not sure what your dad's work looked like, but my guess is you'll leave your own legacy from the photos supplied.
    Again, glad to have you here at the Creek. Jim

Hi Alan, glad you decided to wade in! This is a great place, with great people and information. Your work and shop are very impressive and I have no doubt you will be a frequent and knowledgeable contributor.

Bob

Alan,

Welcome to the Creek. Lots of great folks here who are always willing to share. Your work and shop are impressive. Keep the pics comming.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

VERYnice! - both the work and the shop.

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

Alan....Welcome to the 'Creek! An interesting bunch of people here always willing to share information and ideas! Jump right in!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Wow, great look furniture and shop. Nice table saw!! Thanks for the pics!
    Corey
    P.S. I am new here as well!

Alan, I'd like to chime in with my greetings and salutations as well. This is good place and I think you'll come to really like it here.

While I have never seen any of your dad's work, I don't think you need to worry about living up to his standards. If you haven't already met them, I think you're really, really close.

I like your shop, but are you sure you make sawdust there?
    It seems awfully clean to me. Or did the maid just leave?
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Welcome to the Creek and it looks like you have been lurking around for a spell because you have satisfied the pic police Nice looking work and look forward to your input from 10 years of experience
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Great looking work and beautiful shop. I love looking at clean shops, they motivate me to "think about" doing the same
    Jim Stastny ~ Damascus, Maryland
    A poor workman blames his tools

Alan,

Welcome to the creek! You have joined a great forum. You have made some great pieces out of your shop. I am sure your father is proud.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Hi Alan,
    Welcome aboard from a fellow Montanan currently residing in Washington. I'm originally from Thompson Falls where the rest of my family still live. Great pics of some really nice work. I like the flip top router table. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Alan,

Welcome aboard! Good to see you crossed the road and fell in the Creek!!!

Regards,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Welcome to the Creek. As another semi-retired person getting into woodworking, I can attest that you will get many good suggestions and comments here. Hope to hear from you quite a bit.

John

Hi Alan, Welcome to SMC. Always glad to welcome a fellow pilot and woodworker. Shop looks great, but I didn't see any sawdust on the floor.
    I hope to join the ranks of the semi retired in about 16 months when the full time flying and the part time woodworking gets to be part time flying and a lot more woodworking.
    take care,
    John