Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Detail Palm Planes - who wants to try them next?

Veritas Detail Palm Planes - who wants to try them next?

I was the second person to receive the Lee Valley detail palm planes, thanks to John Collocia, who made these planes available and reviewed them here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=#post1782090

My first though upon receiving these planes, was simply how small they are. They are a bit smaller than I thought, and because of that they are pretty specialized tools, which is stating the obvious. Also, for my own uses, I only found the double convex and the flat plane to be of use to me. I would use the double convex for carving archtop guitar tops and backs, or at least to get into the highly curved areas of archtop guitars. The double convex has a pretty small radius, so it is more of a specialized tool for getting in pretty tightly curved areas. To me, it did seem to have more radius than I needed, but I suppose it is only for certain areas, and it would be useful when needed.

The flat detail plane would be useful for me in carving braces for acoustic guitars. I really don't have much use for the concave or the single convex plane. I can usually use other tools for creating those shapes, whether rounding off the edges with a block plane, or using a hollow or round wood plane. So I don't need such a small tool for those shapes.

Using the tools was actually very comfortable. Despite their small size, they can be held a variety of ways. Depending on how you are using them, the knobs can either be nice or, just get in the way, but the knobs are easily removed. One of the really really great things about these planes is that they can be held used with two hands, like a block plane. Much like when you are using a block plane, you can push with your right hand on the sides of the plane, and then use your left hand can help guide the plane by placing your thumb or fingers on the front of the plane. While there is no small front knob like on a block plane, it seems that these planes were cleverly designed to have a nice flat area on the toe of the plane where you can place a finger to use two hands, which is VERY helpful for reducing hand fatigue when planeing for longer periods of time.

So anyway, whomever who like to test out these planes, just send me a PM, and I will send you out the four detail planes. Then when you are done checking them out, you can either send them back to John Coloccia, or send them on to the next person who wants them.

I hope someone else gets a chance to try these out. And oh yeah, thank you John Coloccia for making these available, and also Chris Griggs for sending them on to me!

Jonas Baker
    Last edited by Jonas Baker; 11-03-2011 at 3:59 PM.

Glad you enjoyed using them. As you know, I had fun playing with them too.

My first reaction was the same as yours. You really have to see/hold them to appreciate just how small they are. And yes, despite their small size I found the surprisingly comfortable to hold.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 11-03-2011 at 5:44 PM.

I do with they would make a double convex one that's just like it but a touch bigger. I have small Ibex planes but the radius is just a bit flatter than I want. It's interesting that the guitar guys are setting a pattern of liking the double convex and flat planes. . Myka has played with his own set of these and I think he mentioned using the concave one to round braces.

For the small case work I do, I really only found the flat one useful - mainly for inside chamfers and other little trimming things I typically do with a chisel. While I don't plan on buying one of the palm planes using the flat one made me realize just how handy such a small plane can be and now I really want to get one of the detail rabbet planes. (my birthdays next week - maybe my wish will come true)

I would appreciate the chance to try them out, when my turn comes up.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Neeley; 11-03-2011 at 5:58 PM.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I would love to get on this list. Thanks, John...

Blog Entries
    I'd like to try them as well. John do you have the finger planes from Stew Mac? How do these compare? I was a minute late on a set of those.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I do with they would make a double convex one that's just like it but a touch bigger. I have small Ibex planes but the radius is just a bit flatter than I want. It's interesting that the guitar guys are setting a pattern of liking the double convex and flat planes. . Myka has played with his own set of these and I think he mentioned using the concave one to round braces.
    Have you used the LMII John D' Angelico plane? If so, how do they compare to those? I'm working on my first archtop and I like the D'Angelico, except the hex nut tightening system, which is a pain.
    joecrafted

I havent tried the D'angelico, mostly because I'm pretty happy with my Ibex planes, and now Veritas planes. The Veritas are like my "rescue" planes. I can get right in and get little details just right. I keep finding more uses for them where I'll grab one for two seconds to take care of something and then put it right back.

Re: StewMac planesThe brass ones are the Ibex planes I use. I love them. The palm plane is just right for roughing any carved/arch top, abd the smaller ones are perfect for details and braces.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 11-03-2011 at 11:26 PM.

I just got one of the Veritas flat sole planes, and haven't had a chance to use it yet, but my first impressions are good. Like others, my original thoughts were for jobs like carving guitar braces and similar. I've got the double convex version on my Christmas list. As for others, I don't see much use for the other two. Too bad Veritas doesn't have a package for the two.

I would also be interested in reviews of the D'angelico plane. I don't realy need any more smal carving planes, but the D'angelico looks like a really nice one for things like archtops (of course, it ought to be good considering the list of experts who gave input into the design).

John and I live in the same state, maybe we can arrange a three-way review with the Veritas-Ibex-D'Angelico. I'm a complete acoustic-archtop newb, so I'm probably not the best person for it.
    joecrafted

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cunningham View Post
    John and I live in the same state, maybe we can arrange a three-way review with the Veritas-Ibex-D'Angelico. I'm a complete acoustic-archtop newb, so I'm probably not the best person for it.
    That sounds like fun. I JUST finished carving a top tonight but I should be working on another one in a couple of weeks. Maybe you can drop by and we'll have fun carving on a new top. I have some European spruce on the way

Just an FYI....They're now with Jim in Alaska. These little guys sure do get around.

Those little guys get around indeed!!! ..and darned nice little planes they are! Thank you Jonas for sending them my way.

My intrigue with them was as drawer or box edge chamferers. I did a little test in some kiln dried clear white pine, parallel to the grain, comparing these Veritas Detail Palm planes to my Veritas bullnose, Veritas LA block plane and Veritas miniature shoulder plane. For this test I decided to keep it all in the family. <g> Due to my exceedingly limited shop time, the flat bottomed palm plane has the disadvantage of not having any fettling but was tested "as received". All of the other planes had been recently polished front and back at least through 6k.

The palm planes worked very well for this test, even without fettling. I was expecting the handles to be awkward but found their length worked really well in maintaining the angle of attack for the cutting edge. The cut seemed to be a series of short cuts in comparison with the shoulder where the cut was one continuous strip but I attest this to my laziness in failing to hone the edge to what it could be and through no fault of the plane.

For chamfering I was pleasantly surprised to fine the palm was easier to maintain a consistant chamfer angle. I'd have expected the blocks heavier weight to be more stable but it worked quite the opposite.

I achieved the worst performance from the bullnose but I admit in advance it's probably my least favorite Veritas plane.

The miniature shoulder gace me the best overall. It had a balance of longer length (2.5") base and, with it's finely honed blade made one continuous consistent chamfer the length of the board (~6").

I'll be the first here to saw that my findings likely would differ from others, especially those with more experience but for a beginner, they are what they are.

That danged little $30 Veritas shoulder proves itself over and over for small cuts! ;-)

The next person to PM me requesting them will be the lucky next recipient of the planes. It's time for them to head to warmer pastures.

Jim in Anchorage
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

These guys are safe and sound in MD now. I am having my knee replaced on the 19th so I am planning to give them a quick workout and move them on. Who is next? Thanks, John