Thread: What solvents to keep on hand.

What solvents to keep on hand.

Thanks for the help with my previous ? about cleaning gunk off my spray gun. Scott, the Acetone cleaned it up much easier than DNA! Well anyway, I got to thinking about what solvents I should have on hand for various tasks. I know it depends on what finishes I use-primarily waterbornes, shellac, wiping varnish. That's about it that I can think of. As of now, no sovent lacquer. I ask this not only for cleaning after finishing, but for other uses in the home or shop that I'm not aware of. Right now, I keep water, mineral spirits, acetone, and DNA. Thanks for your help.

I keep DNA, mineral spirits, water(spray bottle), turpentine(for bees wax) and some lacquer thinner. The lacquer thinner only because I sprayed some lacquer a while back. When it is gone I will not replace it.
    I like to keep my solvents to a minimum for safety.
    Of course I about 50 cans for stain, paint and clear setting around that are just as bad.

I keep mineral spirits, acetone, lacquer thinner, DNA, water rinseable brush cleaner and paint stripper containing methylene chloride.
    Last edited by Howard Acheson; 11-05-2011 at 5:14 PM.
    Howie.........

I use Mineral spirits, acetone,DNA and Lacquer Thinner. I use lacquer thinner the most around the house to remove stubborn marks and stains.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Dale, mineral spirits is a solvent for bees wax too.

I have all that have been mentioned, and more; MEK, Toluene, xylene, 111 trichrolethelene.

Needless to say there is no smoking in my shop!
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Considering the cost of this stuff and its tendency to evaporate, I'd say only the one's you need.

Scott, is MS a solvent for all waxes? Lets say I buffed a piece with a wax based compound and I need to recoat it again, what do I need to get the wax off completely?

I don't know for sure if it's a solvent for "all" waxes; it is a solvent for "most" waxes.

Edit: Sorry didn't see the rest of your question... Plenty of MS and clean rags turning a new section of rag for each wipe of wax removal.
    Last edited by Scott Holmes; 11-09-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Don't know why I didn't think of this before but when in doubt, test! So I took three different compound sticks and put a little MS on them and guess what? They all got soft and started to dissolve. This included metal polishing compounds.