Thread: Oh bother !

Oh bother !

I'm making yet another settle - a commission from someone who saw the previous one, pictured below.

It is progressing well, I've made the two slab sides 3cm thick, cut the mortices, hand planed all the surfaces and was just running a bearing guided router bit round a template to tidy up the curved profile.....

....when I lifted the router clear while it was still running, caught the edge of the template with the bit which jerked enough for me to lose control of it and the still rotating bit gouged a trail about 3cm long and 1cm wide and 5mm deep across a very visible section of the panel.

Oh bother I said. Well, something similar anyway
    The only good side to this is that I still have some of the stock and can make a new section to replace the damaged part which will have to be cut away.
    Last edited by David Keast; 11-06-2011 at 12:53 PM.
    David in Périgord Vert

David,

Hiccups like that are common during any of my projects. Typically for me though it will occur when I have no stock left that will work for a repair. Nice work.

David, that's a great looking piece. I know my wife would love one. Do you have any drawings that you could share or a source for the plans? Even critical dimensions (don't worry; I'm metric-literate)??

Sorry about your bad luck on the current version.

Yes, I have some drawings and some other photos, however, the drawings are not very detailed - I tend to draw only the outside appearance for clients, then work from pencil notes on the back when it comes to making the components. Here are a couple more photos and the basic .pdf. Hope they help. Material is 30mm oak slab sides and major cross members, plus 15mm raised panels at the upper back and lower front also in solid oak. Cross members were fixed with wedged through tenons.

Bottom and lower back were 12mm oak with shiplap style overlaps, produced by resawing the offcuts from the 30mm sides etc. The seat was bread-boarded for stability, hinged at the back, with a small fixed section, around 50mm, to ensure that the seat leans back more than 90deg. when fully open. I used heavy brass door hinges and supports under the sides for strength.

Here is the seat with its breadboard ends. The front 8cm or so is glued and pinned with dowel, then the rear is reinforced with two dowels running in slots in the tenons, no glue.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Keast; 11-11-2011 at 3:00 PM.
    David in Périgord Vert

More info

Oops, forgot to add the pdf. le voila :

http://forge-du-gravier.eu/otherpics/settle.pdf
    David in Périgord Vert

Well it's a good thing I bought that metric tape.

Ah, the eternal inches v. millimetres question !

I notice that at least one US manufacturer has spotted the benefits of the mm - Bob's Rule - you must have seen the adverts - 24 bobs to the inch, it's a very useful measurement unit.

If he had just made them a tiny bit smaller - 25.4 to the inch would have been perfect !!!!!!
    David in Périgord Vert