Thread: Custom Dust Collection Port for Unisaw

Custom Dust Collection Port for Unisaw

I just purchased a portable dust collector (Oneida Dust Gorilla) and need to hook it up to an old Delta/Rockwell Unisaw (vintage 1948/1950) that doesn’t have a dust collection port – just the louvered door at the bottom of the saw front. Does anyone have any ideas or pics they can share on how to fabricate a 4” collection port for the saw that doesn’t involve cutting a new hole in the saw cabinet? Thanks.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 11-07-2011 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Removed forum link. Linking to outside forums is not allowed per the TOS.

I'm in the same boat, looking forward to seeing good ideas in this thread...

My short list of ideas involves installing some sort of ramp inside the base and building a replacement dust door for the dust collector hose (and since I'm missing that door anyway). If my floor doesn't cleanup acceptably, I may leave it off and build a base for the plinth to sit on top of that has fittings for the dust collector hose.

Well,

1: Replace the door in the front with a home made port, if you think it will not be in your way too much.

2: If you are tall, raise the saw up enough to make a port. It doesn't have to be raised that much. Look at some newer unisaws that have the slot along one side, with a sheet metal adaptor to convert it to a 5" port in the rear of the saw. The slot is only about an inch tall, and the length of the saw. I am 6' tall, and my saw is raised up about 3". I like it. You can probably still get the adaptor from Delta. Google it.

Rick Potter

PS: Note that I said 5" port. That is what my 15 year old Uni came with. For years I had a 4" line going to it, and was unsatisfied with the collection. It is now changed to a 6" line, necked down to 5" at the factory adaptor. Works much better.

One method is to remove the plinth and the metal floor. Build a new plinth with the port.

I just cut mine. But it does work great. If I ever wanted to return it to original, it would be easy enough to weld in a patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    PS: Note that I said 5" port. That is what my 15 year old Uni came with. For years I had a 4" line going to it, and was unsatisfied with the collection. It is now changed to a 6" line, necked down to 5" at the factory adaptor. Works much better.
    I have been thinking of running 6" lines to my Unisaw but wasn't sure if it would make a big difference with having to drop down to 5". Today I have 4" main runs and use the 4" adapter. Did you see a big increase in performance ?

Thanks all for the ideas. BTW, when I purchased the Oneida Dust Gorilla, Oneida advised that i reduce from the DC 's 6" outlet down to a 5 " flex hose and then reduce to a 4" port at each of my tools. They recommended this because I have a small shop with limited tools and I'll using it only for one tool at a time.

Doug,

Yes, it made a noticeable difference. Sawdust used to accumulate in the bottom of the saw, not now. All my other tools have 4" ports, except my drum sander with a 6" hose necked down to 5" at the machine. Wish I could open up the port on the sander, but it would be a lot of trouble.

Rick P