Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wall cabinet for hand tools

Wall cabinet for hand tools

I am very new to hand tools. I am starting to collect a few and I am running out of room quickly.

I would like to build a nice wall cabinet for all of my hand tools.

I have seen several of these but for the life of me I can't remember where I saw then.

I am a converted power tool junkie and at the time I saw these cabinets I did not think I would ever need on.

I am limited some to wall space. I work in 1/2 of a 2 1/2 car garage which takes away 2 walls.

Does anyone know where I can get plans or a good picture of a nice cabinet?

I can re-draw from a picture to sketchup.

Thanks

Check the Wood Whisperer web site - I recently discovered I could set my TiVo to download the video podcast / vodcast / whatever / thing, and there are archived 3 shows that discuss the design and construction of a wall-mounted cabinet for hand tools. May not be quite what you're looking for, but it may open the design process up to you and you can make up your own plans from there.

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Thanks Daniel. I can't get the Wood Whisper on tv. I have Dish and I do not see where it is offered in my package.
    I will check the web site.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Just got a copy of Hand Tool Essentials (from the editors of Popular Woodworking). Chris Schwarz has a design for the Arts & Crafts Tool Cabinet he made in the back of the book, instructions, bill of materials, measurements, drawings, narrative....I am thinking of making the same cabinet but a little less Arts & Crafty. This IMHO is a larger more practical cabinet with nice drawers, sections for planes....big enough to hold a decent number & variety of tools without having to have a Masters in Crossword Puzzles to get them in & out.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 11-07-2011 at 8:36 PM.

Check Popular Woodworking magazine December 2004. That's the cabinet I'm planning to build after I finish the Christmas presents.

7. Check Gary Robert's site on toolchests: http://toolemerablog.typepad.com/the_tool_chest/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Just got a copy of Hand Tool Essentials (from the editors of Popular Woodworking). Chris Schwarz has a design for the Arts & Crafts Tool Cabinet he made in the back of the book, instructions, bill of materials, measurements, drawings, narrative....I am thinking of making the same cabinet but a little less Arts & Crafty. This IMHO is a larger more practical cabinet with nice drawers, sections for planes....big enough to hold a decent number & variety of tools without having to have a Masters in Crossword Puzzles to get them in & out.

+1 on that book as I bought it at WIA, its a great reference book. I also like the tool cabinet as I need to build one as well.
    War Eagle!

FWIW, all my planes and other odds and ends (squares, marking gauges etc) live on a shelf (3/4" plywood on shelf brackets). Files, rasps and rifflers live on magnetic strips. Chisels and other things with convenient handles get holes drilled through them and live on a nail driven into a 3/4" piece of ply. I'm not saying don't build a cabinet, but having gone down the rabbit hole of organizing and building for the shop I can say that I much prefer my sorta' crappy but very utilitarian system, and I much prefer working on "real" projects, i.e. the projects I had in mind when I got into woodworking.

Anyhow, I'm just putting it out there as something to chew on.

Blog Entries
    Right Todd, good info. in that book. I like the design for a Sawbench and want to build one or two of those too. Then there's the roubo workbench.....

I guessI should say Waaar Eagle too, since my son is a junior there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Cruea View Post
    Thanks Daniel. I can't get the Wood Whisper on tv. I have Dish and I do not see where it is offered in my package.
    I will check the web site.
    Dale, sorry if I misled you. My knowledge of the specific show of interest came through my set top box (TiVo), but as Steve posted, you can find the videos on the web site. There are actually several options to get content offline, mentioned at http://thewoodwhisperer.com/subscription-overview/ if you are interested. Apparently (never done it) you can get the shows on iPad, iPhone, etc. In the specific case of this show, I would say that I don't agree with the design of the cabinet for my purposes, but the process as documented was good and the design is easily modified.

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

John, I am out of room to hang stuff from the walls and stuff them in drawers.
    I like your way. Way less problem.
    However I am getting so much stuff stuffed into all of my nooks and crannies that I can't find what I need when I need it.
    I even forget what I have sometimes and I don't have that much.
    I need to get all of my stuff in one pile somewhere.
    I ain't looking forward to building a wall cabinet because I will have to reorg my entire shop.

Blog Entries
    Dale,

This can be another slippery slope.

I repurposed an old book shelf to hold tools. Then another old bookshelf to hold more. They are both about 6' tall and hung on the wall. There is a space between them that has shelfs built in.

This still doesn't hold all of my woodworking tools.

My plans are to build some doors to span the 60' that can also hold tools and maybe change things around a bit for a plane till, saw till, chisel/gouge till and miscellaneous tool till.

It never ends.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Dale,
    I gathered up a few good photos of tool walls and cabinets from various sources. If you'll PM me your email address, I'd be happy to send them your way.

how about this?
    (early photos)

Now with some more tools stored in the doors

This cabinet measures about 51 1/4" wide x 43 1/2" tall x 14" deep. It can hold 7" 24" long jointer/fore planes in the vertical till, and many more planes on the shelves. It has (13) 3-1/4" (approx) wide cubbies to hold smaller planes and 3 drawers to hold other tools. The doors are about 3" deep and are outfitted with holders for chisels, saws, and other tools. The interior door that covers the vertical till has tool holders on each side and houses a series of braces and eggbeaters drills on one side and dovetail saws on the other.
    Dominic Greco