Thread: woodmaster 718 planer dust collection

woodmaster 718 planer dust collection

Just wanting to get some ideas from you guys who own 718's. I am definitely lacking in the dust collection department. I currently am running the 2hp (cough) harbor freight with a thien separator with a 4" hose. I've pretty much hopped up the collector as much as possible, and she still just cannot do it. I've mounted the blower on top of the separator. I've stepped up the suction to a 6" inlet. But, I only have a 4" hose to the planer.

So I'm wondering what everyone else is running, and if you're happy with it. I've thought about reworking the hat on top of the planer to a 6". I know it would help some, but I'm not sure it would be enough.

I'm going to post this a few other places looking for as much input as possible.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas G Hager View Post
    So I'm wondering what everyone else is running, and if you're happy with it. I've thought about reworking the hat on top of the planer to a 6". I know it would help some, but I'm not sure it would be enough.
    Hi Lucas, I'm running a 5HP Clearvue & ~10' of rigid 6" duct with ~6' of 6" flexible hose on my Woodmaster DC drop. I reduce the 6" down to 4" right @ the machine. I do not appear to have any fine dust in the air when I'm done (no particle meter to verify though). I have talked to Woodmaster in the past about offering a heavy duty 6" hose connector for the 718 but they are pretty adamant that it is not needed. If you rework the connector, keep in mind that you still need to lift the top off to make knife or head changes (i.e. 1/4" wall pipe may not be a good option :-) ).

My 712 has the same 4" port and is just as horrible. The chips produced by molding knives spit out all over the place and I have a5 hp collector. 6" is the minimun needed in my opinion. I haven't looked at modifying it as I only use mine about once a year. would like to see what you do. Dave

Small Update.

I just purchased a 3 hp jet dc-1200. I plan to convert the 718 to a 6" port. Right now I'm trying to decide how to collect the chips. I'm thinking about building another Thien and exhausting the fines outside.