Thread: Thinking of getting a CNC, but don't know where to start.

Thinking of getting a CNC, but don't know where to start.

I'll start this off by saying I know absolutely nothing about CNC routers other than the basic idea that they follow a prescribed tool path created by a computer to create 2d and 3d shapes.

That being said, I recognize the potential of these machines and am very interested in learning about them but I'm having difficulty knowing where to start. I am computer literate and have used AutoCad a little but I am far from proficient in any drawing program. Is there a "CNC Routers for Dummies" type book that is good enough to get me going, or do I need to actually go to training somewhere?

Also, as far as the equipment is concerned, I'm a little apprehensive about buying a used machine because at this point I wouldn't know how to troubleshoot or fix any problems with it, but I can get a lot more for my money than buying new.

I guess I'm looking for some advice. How did you learn to work these machines and is there anything to help speed up the process. What type machine would you get, what software, etc. as well as what to avoid.

I was in the same boat as you but could not draw in a cad program. I discovered the shopbot forum and started reading. there is a lot to learn for sure. drawing is the smallest part of it. learning to make the toolpaths (software does most of it) but learning the way to cut something the speed and direction and what bits is the real work. then you have to learn to operate the machine and how materials cut as they all cut differently and what bit and speeds work with them. one of the trickiest is holding material in place. you have several methods and I use most of them. you have jigs that use clamps you have nails and screws. you have various forms of vacuum hold down depending on what you are cutting and your machine.
    there are a lot of different types of bits used in cnc that don't see much use in a hand held router or table. Most bits used are straight bits. and they can be upcut and down cut and straight cut. they all cut differently and work differently on different materials. you also have a combo of up and down in a compression bit. you pretty much only use 2 flute or single flute bits on a cnc router unless you are cutting foam then 4 flutes work the best. you use ballnose bit for 3d work and v bits for vcarving and you can have different angles.
    there is so much but no one source really since the machines are pretty new to most people and they vary so much in what they can do and how much they cost.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

On April 11th of 2010 I knew nothing as well shy of reading posts on cnczone. On April 12th I decided I would try building a machine - a Joes Hybrid Rack and Pinion 4X4 machine. It was going to cost me about $3600 in about 12 or so $300 purchases to buy the raw materials and I already had some software and a PC to run it. Building the machine taught me 100% the mechanics of how my DIY Joes machine worked. It taught me there is absolutely no magic in small CNC machines. The $100 fee to Joe got me access to his forum where there are a couple hundred builds of all different sizes and including all kinds of mods you can do to a machine the size and rigidity of a Joes. It also bought me a membership to a group of guys passionate about this machine. I have made some great friends and contacts there. The "payments" let me pay cash for my machine. When it was done and I had it working I felt (and still feel) awesomely confident in my machine and in my ability to build it and keep it running. I have helped a number of Joes builders build there machine. Some even here on SMC. My first build took me 1 month to put together once I had all the parts. I did a complete upgrade (went to cast alum and steel, welded base, K2 8" Z, and vrail - got rid of MDF, HDPE, and soft angle iron) latter that year after I paid myself back the initial investment. Since then even those upgrades have paid themselves back. The machine is really sweet.

I am not CAD expert. I use some pretty easy software and it handles 85% of what I want to do. I am still learning. I have no bills depending on the shop much less the CNC so I can learn at my own pace and I enjoy it. I have a great support network online with the Joes forum. Ultimately I support my machine though. Its on me to fix it and keep it running. Lots of great guys here know DIY machines and have really helped out.

If you want to buy one and can afford it - Look into Cammaster. The guys here are awesome that support those machines. The shopbot community is to knotch too.

First start out deciding what you want to cut and how fast you want to cut it and how much shop space you can dedicate to the machine and decide if you can build and support it or if you cannot "pay" for the cost of doing that (time and learning curve) or if your needs outweigh a DIY machines capabilities. Factor in a budget but do not let that drive the build or buy as these machines when working can pay back quick!!

Also download some Vectric software demos (VCarvePro and Aspire) and watch their training videos and look up artcams (it may not be affordable at $10K but their training is awesome) training videos. Great free training to get you started is out there. Same with the videos from Artsoft - the makers of Mach3 post processing software. Rhino also has awesome training on their CAD software that is free. That suite of software is very powerful to the small shop with a decent CNC machine.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

i certainly would not go down this road with out looking to the camaster and the camheads forum,, basically with the wincnc controller software any forum member can get online while you are learning your machine and give direct experience in training, the machine can be tuned from the camaster plant and with thousands of online members you are never short of an army of teachers. the machine is built like a tank and a bit more industrial than some mentioned and this insures long term use and reliable resale value ( there are very few ever sold by the original owners) the camheads forum is accessable from the camaster website. www.camaster.com and is an advertiser on this forum. feel free to join the forum it is a non advertiser cnc owner based machine forum. definantly look at the vectric software it is unparaled in ease of learning curve

ps: what to avoid? chinese cnc machines and propietary controllers
    Last edited by james mcgrew; 11-09-2011 at 2:18 PM.

A few years ago I as in the same place I wanted a cnc cut was afraid to spend that much on a new unit. I ended up buying a used Shopbot. It does every thing I wanted. I run a Biesse at the place where I work but at times they will hire me with my cnc to cut some stuff for them. Check out the Shopbot forum you can request to visit a shop near you most of us will be happy to show off our machines.

Quote Originally Posted by ben searight View Post
    I'll start this off by saying I know absolutely nothing about CNC routers other than the basic idea that they follow a prescribed tool path created by a computer to create 2d and 3d shapes.

That being said, I recognize the potential of these machines and am very interested in learning about them but I'm having difficulty knowing where to start. I am computer literate and have used AutoCad a little but I am far from proficient in any drawing program. Is there a "CNC Routers for Dummies" type book that is good enough to get me going, or do I need to actually go to training somewhere?

Also, as far as the equipment is concerned, I'm a little apprehensive about buying a used machine because at this point I wouldn't know how to troubleshoot or fix any problems with it, but I can get a lot more for my money than buying new.

I guess I'm looking for some advice. How did you learn to work these machines and is there anything to help speed up the process. What type machine would you get, what software, etc. as well as what to avoid.
    Ben,

Welcome to the CNC obsession. I have built 4 CNC machines so far and will build more in the future. There are some great people who will help you with your decisions. I have never known a nicer bunch of guys.

I built a Joes CNC 4x4 hybrid and really think the design and the support forum are superb. If you decide to build a machine you should strongly consider building a Joe's. Other good choices in the build it yourself field are Shopbot and Mechmate. I include shop bot because you have to assemble it from components.

If you are buying a ready built machine, Camaster and Laguna and Shopbot are great places to start looking.

In all cases you should try and get as large a machine as you feel that you can afford. All my upgrades involve going to a bigger machine. Lastly, I think it is hard to beat Vectric software.

If you need any help or someone to talk to about CNC please PM me. I love to talk CNC.

Bill
    Hybrid 4x4 Rack & Pinion, Mach3, Hobbycnc Pro, Aspire, Cut3D, PhotoVcarve, Alibre, Rhino, Laser cutter, foam cutter.