Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffing systems

Buffing systems

I have been using some old sewn buffing wheels for some time with mixed results. I decided it was time to get a good buffing system. From reading old posts, it looks like the Beall is the popular system, with the Don Pencil system as runner up. Has anyone used the Oneway wheels? The fabric is cut a little different and I wondered if anyone had any comments on them. Also, any comments on system preference, value, etc., would be appreciated!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Personally I prefer Don Pencils extended arbors they are the best in the biz. His wheels and compounds are reasonably priced and he is the closest to your location being he is in Washington state. If you like doing gloss finishes his plastic lacquer compound is the best. Remember Don is a one man show so it generally takes him a day or two to ship. I ordered some supplies from him last week and they are due for delivery today. I have not used the Oneway wheels but sure they are good.

Alan

I have the Beal 3 on the tree deal and wouldn't buy it again because of the limitations to buff larger pieces. The wheels are just too darn close together.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    I have the Beal 3 on the tree deal and wouldn't buy it again because of the limitations to buff larger pieces. The wheels are just too darn close together.
    I have heard that before about the three wheel arbor. If they were mounted individually to the headstock or a buffer would that change their usefulness to you?
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by Jon McElwain View Post
    I have heard that before about the three wheel arbor. If they were mounted individually to the headstock or a buffer would that change their usefulness to you?
    Yep. I am going to alter the setup to individual wheels some day. I also want some "bowl buffs" so I can buff the inside of bowls because the standard wheels won't reach inside of a smaller or deep bowl.
    -------
    -------

I think I read a post by Steve that said he did not like the 2" bowl buffs because they left swirly marks. I'll have to ask him about that. Maybe the 3" or 4" would work better. Don Pencil has several variations on the bowl buff.

I really like my Beal individual buffs. They have held up extremely well for me. This is the single best tool I have found for improving my finish!

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Gotta say, a good buffing system -- I use the Beall -- takes a good finish and elevates it to great. One of the best bangs for my buck in my shop.

While we're on the subject, what is the consensus on buffing speed? I usually start slow, then increase the speed if I don't get the results I want. My caution is that I don't want to melt the finish, especially the lacquers.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I slow my lathe down to about 600rpm (I think that is one of the speeds) when I buff. When I first started buffing I was buffing at 1400rpm and did have issues because of the heat from too fast wheels and too much pressure on the wheels. Now its a lot slower and a gentle touch of the work to the wheels.
    -------
    -------

There's something I'd like to try but for some reason I haven't gotten around to doing it, and that's to apply my usual 4-6 coats of lacquer, let it cure for a few days, then sand it with 1000 and buff it out. Seems to me the Beall system should return the sanded finish to a gloss. My fear, of course, is that I'll mess up a perfectly good project.

Russell Neyman

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I bought a 1750 rpm motor for cheap and bought the beall system. Key to any buffing is not to stay in one place to long and a light touch. Don't ask me how I know this.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I purchased that simple Morse taper adapter from Beall, so I can use the variable speed features on my lathe. In my experience, the tripoli and white diamond polishing steps require slower speeds, but better results can be achieved with the wax when I crank it up. As I recall, the taper adapter is only about $15.

The Beall guys will probably be in Portland this weekend, and I'll make a point to stop by their booth and ask about speeds and such. If there are any head-slapping developments, I'll post it here next week.
    Last edited by Russell Neyman; 11-09-2011 at 2:04 PM.

Russell Neyman

Any comments to compare Beall and Pencil kits? Looks like the Pencil are a little lower price when you add in the bowl buffs and spindle extension adapter.

I have the Beall system - three separate wheels. Like Bernie, I crank the speed up to 1750 per the recommendations and light touch. I have the 3 inch wheels for the insides of bowls and have no problems with swirl marks. You need a light touch and keep moving.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I use the Bealll sys. I have the 3 separate wheels in 8",4",3" and bowl buffs in 2" and 3" It does get a little pricey but over a year it's not bad. All my buffs are set up on a 1725 motor with a extension so the buffs are about 8" from the motor. The motor is mounted on a grinder stand so the bottom of the motor doesn't get in the way.I also made an adapter so I can use any of the buffs in my drill for when I do big bowls ( over 16" ).
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.